Reducing Gas in My Bag: Tips Needed!

Replies
Views
NanaR

What can I do to lessen episodes of gas blowing up my bag? I have completely stopped drinking carbonated beverages.

funnygurl

There is a product called Beano that is a non-prescription pill. It reduces gas. You can also get a bag with a filter built in. However, they won't work if they get wet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Stop eating breads, cereals, grains, and pasta....eat only high protein, low fiber diet. The gas will almost disappear, you will lose weight, and your cholesterol and triglycerides will go down. I still drink diet cokes but get the caffeine-free ones.

Poobag17

I often recommend people visit a naturopath and get evaluated for an appropriate probiotic. The right probiotic has been the single biggest game changer in my 20 years with an ostomy. It has helped with gas, and more importantly, overall digestive function. Not just any probiotic, they can evaluate your reactivity to certain types and get the best fit for you, rather than just eating yogurt thinking it'll help. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know how recent your surgery was, but I found during both my operations, 20 years apart, for the first 3 months or so, I had a lot of ballooning as well, but my system has 'normalized' and settled down since. Large in part due to diet as mentioned by simesom earlier, and the probiotics getting that good digestive bacteria back in your gut to help break down foods that would otherwise wreak havoc and land me in the ER with a blockage. Worth checking out.

mari5wal

I feel that BEANO actually works. Limiting yourself to veggies that cause gas.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
NJ Bain

Also, chewing gum can cause a lot of gas from the air you swallow.

Xerxes

As everyone has said, it comes down to what you are eating, drinking and the combinations thereof. It's really basically simple.

X_