Seeking Advice for Unpredictable Stoma Output

Replies
Views
chestnut

Am I the only one who's output has no rhyme or reason to it? I keep a food diary and can't track any pattern. At all. I never eat very much.

Puppyluv56

I gave up on that! My output is a direct result of the sugar I eat! I have to get my head around my diet and have not done so yet! Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Chestnut,

No, I don't think you're alone on this. My body reacts differently to the same things I eat. Sometimes I can feel pressure when it is about to expel, but other times not so much.

Now the consistency surely, for me, has to do with what I eat. Small meals four times a day work better as the output is less but more frequent.

Chellebelle

Hi.

I've had my ileostomy for 4 weeks now and can't seem to get a handle at all on my diet and its implications.

I ate a meal last night which I thought was fine: steak, mushy peas, and chips. I did have a Diet Coke. Then within the hour, I went to the cinema. While in there, my bag filled completely to the point of bursting! Luckily, I got to the toilet in time and it was pure thin liquid.

Any ideas on what could have caused that? In the morning, it was back to porridge.

Puppyluv56

I have a colostomy so it is a bit different but on occasion have similar events. I would separate the things that you like. Next time eat just the steak, if that is good, add the peas, then add the chips. You should be able to find out what did it and eliminate that when you know you have to go out. Chips sometimes does that to me. Everyone tolerates different things but many foods are triggers for all of us.

Hope this helps and good luck. You will eventually find what you can and cannot eat or if you choose to eat them you are prepared for the consequences!

Puppyluv

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Onceuponatime

My dietician told me to eat 6, 7, 8 small marshmallows before I put any real food in my mouth. It worked. I had lost 32 pounds and couldn't put the weight back on. This helped the food stay in my body so I could get the nutrients out of the food as well as not fill up the bag so quickly. I kept a baggie of small marshmallows in my purse after that. Don't know why it has to be small but that's what she said and that's what I did. Hope it works to give you a little freedom.