Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,543 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,543 OstoMates.

Update on my recent C5 C6 surgery

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 am

Thursday was one week since my surgery.  I took off the bandage and just have the stery strips. I will let those fall off on their own.  My main issue now is I cannot shake the severe pain in between the shoulder blades, on the outside of my right shoulder blade.  That is where the C6 nerve passes through.  Now this nerve has been compressed for quite awhile so it is expected that it will be some time to hopefully get better.  However, I am in excruciating pain from this nerve and although some of the numbness is better, the last joint of my right thumb is still numb.  I am at a loss of how to relieve the nerve pain.  I have tried heat and Ice.  When I wear the soft collar, it is a little better but not relieved.  If any of you have ideas to try, please let me know.  I see the surgeon on the 9th and plan to talk with him about it.  I have been trying not to use any of the heavy hitter pain meds they gave me because I am allergic to most of them and I have to take a special medicine to keep me from becoming ill from the only pain meds I am allowed to take.  I can take Valium but try not to use it if I am not hurting real bad.  So here is my delema.  I need to find some kind of relief from this unrelenting pain.  I am hopeful it will get better as time goes by but until then, I need suggestions.  Thanks everyone in advance!  

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:29 am

i have no experience with that surgery, but i do know that nerves can be slow to heal. hopefully your surgeon can give you some insight and relief. best wishes for a full and speedy recovery

Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:03 am
Hi Freedancer is there a pain clinic nearby that you could talk to someone and maybe get some relief, my brother has had 2 back surgeries and steroid shots with little relief of pain until he found a pain clinic and they recommended some excersizes that helped him. good luck
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 am

Hello Freedancer.

I agree with Ron in mich that a pain clinic could help with this sort of problem. It might be worth bearing in  mind that all nerve stimulatiion sends messages to the brain and it is that which dictates whether a person has pain and to what degree. Pain is a useful indicator that there is something physically wrong but it is interesting that when it becomes OTT, the brain switches off and people often feel no pain at all. It has been found that certain physical exercises and exercises in mindfulness can be useful in reducing the effects of chronc pain - which is where the clinic might be helpful to point you in the right direction.

Best wishes

Bill  

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.