Journey of Acceptance: My Experience with Colostomy Surgery

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

I was asked recently, what I expected before my surgery and after (colostomy).

Fast forward: I was referred to a Rectal and Colon Surgeon in 2015. I wasn't on board with having surgery, was searching for another avenue. I didn't have cancer, it was caused by the slip of the knife while unblocking my small intestines. (Not this surgeon though) While sitting in the doctor's office, I always looked at the magazines that were displayed. I was amazed there were men and women with buttocks that had no opening. I had never seen this before, they also posed proudly with pouches on. Never thought this would be me, really!

My health issues became critical with no solutions. I had the surgery (colostomy) in Aug 2015. When I woke, my right hand searched my body. Yes, there was something new attached to my abdomen. I asked the nurse did she smell poop? She responded saying no, I did. Not long after, I was cleaned up and my nurse removed my appliance. Then I saw what protruded out my skin, my new reality. Unlike some, my rectum was untouched, though no longer functioning.

Before my release, I was shown how to clean and apply my appliance. Trust me, I was definitely in kindergarten all over again. In the beginning, I stayed inside unless it was necessary to go out. Mentally, it was devastating I must admit. Did I have a hang-up? Yes, of course I did. I've never seen the naked body as something to be ashamed of - now I was.

Accidents? Sometimes I won't elaborate on that because it was discussed in a blog. I have learned that I cannot control the intestines. Even when I had a functioning rectum, the intestines did its own thing. I did learn to irrigate compliments to my fellow ostomates, wish I knew at the start. I don't wear a cap, as some do... I still wear a pouch! My security blanket perhaps.

The question always comes up about scenting foul odor. You're not crazy. Some smell odors others don't, in the beginning I didn't. If I do now, it means for me to exit immediately and check or change. We become very conscious of odors "remember" the nostrils are very sensitive. I am still on a journey learning, no longer in kindergarten. I have accepted what I cannot change. All days are not sunny, but the sun does shine. I do hope this helps someone. Good luck!

Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

You are a good writer. What you express is from the heart. I am touched by your posts and blogs. Thanks, my friend.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Angelicamarie

Xnine... Thank you, you have touched me also...

Angelicamarie

scorsby

Hi Angel.

A very good piece of writing and you express just what many of us feel. It's good to know that we're not alone with a stoma, and many others are experiencing the same as me.

Nicely written.

John

Angelicamarie

Scorsby, I appreciate your comments.

Angelicamarie

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Xerxes

Beautifully said, Angel. Yes, our GI tract does have a mind of its own, it just can't think.

X_

Angelicamarie

Xerxes... Thank you for your comments.

Angelicamarie

Bill

Hello Angelicamarie. I agree with your other responders that you are very good at expressing your feelings on these matters and that can be extremely useful to those who are presently experiencing the same sort of things. It is also helpful in assisting those of us who have past that stage to reminisce about what it was like in those early days before we adjusted to this new life. 

Best wishes

Bill

Angelicamarie

Bill... Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Angelicamarie