Keto diet and ileostomy: Need advice on managing liquid output.

Replies
Views
vdahl

Since my first surgery (at which time I "needed" to gain some weight), I have gone overboard. I really need to get back on track, even before I can feel like getting some decent exercise. I have chosen the Keto diet for a number of health reasons. I've only been on it for 12 days and have lost 11 pounds -- still a ways to go! My only issue is, with my ileostomy, the output has been VERY liquid so I'm beginning to get a bit sore. Previously, I used cereal, oatmeal, pretzels, or applesauce to get some proper consistency; of course, these items are no longer an option. I'm trying to starve the sugar out of my system, can only have around 20 carbs per day, and the rest filled with protein and healthy fats.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on the matter?

Thanks for your time, Vicki

mild_mannered_super_hero

I use the Atkins diet and have for quite some time. I really like it. It is similar, since you limit carbs. You should notice that your system will produce a lot less gas. I think your output will settle down once your system adapts to your new diet. When you think about it, it's a pretty radical change... give it a little time. I would be interested in knowing how it works out for you, as I'm sure others would be too. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Vicky. Thanks for your post as these proscribed diets are something I have often thought about without looking into them. What I wondered was whether they incidentally equate with what I eat normally without giving it much extra thought.

Basically, I eat what I 'like'. This means that on a moral and psychological level, I am vegetarian as I don't like the idea of killing animals. I have always been averse to milk and most dairy products because they tend to make me nauseous and we have not bought sugar for more than 30 years.  I do like salads and all other meals are fresh-cooked (steamed because that's also the way I like it). I also like things such as dates and various other yummy fruit which I occsionally mix with a little dark chocolate to give myself a treat.  I do have certain food supplements in pill-form because my diet probably does not supply all the vitamins I need on a daily basis. My weight rarely shifts more than a pound or two and never goes over eleven stones (70kgs). If it gets near that figure,  I feel heavy and lethargic so I find something to do which involves strenuous exercise such as walking, cycling, volunteering in countryside-management which can involve anything from brushcutting to concreting. I am reluctant to use noisy machinery, so this sort of work is all done by hand. I work up a sweat for long hours and by the end of the day I have usually lost the weight-gain and the lethagy. Then, after a good night's sleep, I feel fine again.

I realise that my own approach to food and lifestyle would not suit everyone but I do notice that my fellow countryside-management workers are rarely overweight and most of them look ridiculously fit and active for their ages.

In your post, you asked for suggestions and thoughts on the matter, so this is what I have tried to do. However, I believe the best thing for anyone to do in life is to stick to the things they 'like' and if those things have consequences that are disliked, then there will be a need to balance one against the other to find a personal compromise.

Best wishes

Bill  

vdahl

Thanks MMSH! You're right, the Adkins is very similar... in fact, that's what got me started. I understand what you're saying about being patient, it is indeed a transition. The more research I do, I really get how it's becoming a lifestyle change rather than a diet. The benefits are holistic, not simply weight loss. AND it's perfect for those of us women who've been a proverbial yo-yo with weight and hormone management. I'm sure it will become easier with time. In the meantime, I change my appliance a little more often and rest assured that the best is yet to come. I WILL keep you posted if you'll be kind enough to do the same :)

Again, THANK YOU!

Hi Bill, Thank you too for your thoughts. You're fortunate in that you can maintain a healthy weight just by eating what you like. Perhaps my problem is I LOVE FOOD, period! Ever since my late teens, I've had issues with managing hormones and along with that - weight. I agree that proper exercise helps a ton. I struggle with arthritis, fibromyalgia, autoimmune disorders and whatnot as well -- I realize it's hard for most people to understand how hard it is just to get going in the morning! I want nothing more than to get back to my workouts and normal activities. Believe me, I get focused and love nothing more than to get into what I call my sweat zone for a couple hours. As I said, I 'needed to gain weight' when I had my first ileostomy surgery, which will be two years on Feb 2nd, followed by my second surgery in June (healed much quicker). I've had a fair amount of problems with recuperation; I fear the possibility of hernias and I am having issues with my stomach and esophagus. I'm sure it might seem I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I need and want to get healthy and active again. I want to get off of oxygen and my Pulmonary doctor says it's imperative that I lose weight. It's an issue of self-esteem as well as holistic health. I've done a lot of research and have talked to a ton of people that have claimed nothing short of a life-changing experience with this particular plan. The only thing I have not done is talk to anyone with an ileostomy with experience (except MMSH, above). While I appreciate your wisdom, I do not believe I'm compromising anything. I "like" everything I'm eating. I'm simply learning a new way to approach it.

Keep on keepin' on!

Vicki

dls

Wow, I'm over my pay grade here but you never know. Prescribed 'diets' are not for me. I don't like being told what to do, and eating is quite personal, so telling me what to eat is well...you get the idea. Like Bill, I eat what I like, unlike Bill my food choices are quite different. I feel that our bodies and individual chemistries, cultural and health backgrounds all play a part--and everyone is different. That explains why I eschew 'cookie cutter' diets. OK, my food: I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian...just a plain old carnivore. I adore dairy--yogurt (plain only), milk, buttermilk, cheese, eggs all of it--my system handles it all well. No constipation or any other problems. I eat meat except for chicken and pork. I can eat them, but don't like them. I have a high sensitivity to shellfish, but can feast on all sorts of whitefish as well as squid. I also have a high sensitivity to tomatoes, which are a fruit, not a vegetable. I love figs, dates, raisins, nuts of all sorts (every day) breads made with hearty rye flour and all sorts of veggies--turnips, carrots, asparagus, celery, parsnips, you get the idea. I have never been one for pastries and I hate ice cream--it took me 25 years to convince my mother that I didn't want cake and ice cream on my birthday. I also eat a good deal of cereals and grains. My point: you love your food and you are dealing with many physical issues right now. Before 'deciding on a diet', decide on what you want to eat that will make you, not only satiated, but happy about what you're eating. If you're miserable and too structured, you may lose weight, then again you may cheat and not lose any. Finally, I hope this diet does not cost a penny. My mother was never fat, nor were either of my grandmothers. They ate what they wanted, and knew how to 'cut back' if they were unhappy with their weight. All this nonsense about eating foods that counteract other foods is largely nonsense. The primary issue is your health and nourishment, after that, it's all about what you like and can control. My final point regarding food comes from my mother's PCP: it is what you put in your mouth that makes you fat, or not. Let us know what you decide and how it works for you--your photo looks great.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Silveradokid

Hi Vicki. I've never gotten enough food with any one diet, so, for me, I've found it more advantageous to use two diets at a time. I'll have to try the Keto and let you know...

thd3543

Hi Vicki,

I do keto. I'm a Type II diabetic and doing keto makes it easier to manage it. If you want to chat more, let me know.

vdahl

I'd love to chat about KETO... I'm currently not a paying member so I can initiate a chat.
Thanks for reaching out, I've really been wondering if there are any nuances I should be aware of because of the ileostomy (things take less time to move through that most :) )

Thanks,
Vicki