Bowel pressure and urgency with colostomy - seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses coping strategies and advice for managing bowel pressure and urgency with a colostomy.
Hayley80

Hi, I'm a colostomy newbie. I had the loop operation at the end of September due to a tumor in my rectum. I'm getting stressed and upset with the pressure and urgency to go that I still feel in my bowels. It's constant and seems worse when my stoma is active. I'm terrified to let go in case of any damage inside it may cause me, so I'm trying to hold it in. Can anyone else relate to this? I see lots of posts regarding mucus, but everyone seems to take it in their stride. Maybe I'm just being a baby? It's freaking me out. Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pirrip

Tincture of time...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Hayley80. I do like pirrip's response to your post as it gives the shortened version of what is needed regarding these issues. However, lest his reply seems inadequate to you, I will attempt to add a little more. 

Firstly, You are not alone in experiencing this in the early phases after the operation. The anus continues to want to work as if the operation had never been done and sends neural messages to the brain to that effect. This is also encouraged because there is usually mucus being generated down there which is trying to be expelled. Unlike faeces, it is not so easy for the peristalsis to push the liquid out, so it sometimes builds up inside to cause pressure. Sometimes it solidifies and comes out looking like faeces, which can also be worrisome to people who are not expecting this to happen. 

Second: The comment that 'everyone seems to take it in their stride' needs to be placed in the context of the fact that most of the people who reply to these posts have had their stomas for a while and have, by and large, adjusted to these problems and the lifestyle.

Third: The comment that maybe you are just being a baby sounds somewhat self-derogatory. Being new to something like this and trying to make the necessary adjustments is not something to be ashamed of, it is part of the learning process.

What you should know, is that one of the main reasons why there are more experienced people on here trying to help you through this process of adjustment, is that we have been through that experience ourselves and are well aware of how you feel at this time.  I hope that when you get to the point that you have mastered all the physical and emotional problems of these early experiences, that you too will be willing to share this with any newbies who come online to share their anxieties in this way.

Best wishes

Bill

Hayley80

Thank you, I have a better understanding now. I had to Google our Pirips' reply, lol, as I didn't understand the phrase. Thank you both for replying. I've been too scared to use the toilet in case of what might happen, and the pressure was scaring me. Nothing was explained to me when I left the hospital about this.

Bill

Hello Hayley80. Having re-read your post, I realise that I ommitted to say that there should be no reason for you to worry about expelling the mucus as and when it feels like its exerting any pressure. Just go as you would have done before the operation but try not to strain in any way as this can lead to a hernia. In those early days, I had problems getting rid of the mucus which came out in allsorts of textures, colours and smells. Eventually I sorted the problem by irrigation but most people just bide their time until the problem resolves itself. Anal irrigation is something I would not recommend without prior medical advice and assistance. I was able to do it successfully because I had been practicing this technique prior to the stoma. Also, I make my own gadgets to suit my own circumstances, which not everyone can do for themselves. 

I am sure that with patience and understanding of the problems, you will soon get the hang of these things and it will all settle down to a familiar routine. Some people eventually don't have problems with mucus at all - unfortunately, I am not one of those people!

Best wishes

Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hayley80

Thank you, you have put my mind at rest.

I have been in extreme pain around my stoma as I think I have a hernia already. The hospital did a CAT scan on me today and my surgeon is seeing me Thursday to discuss this. I'm praying no more surgery.

Past Member

Hi Hayley80

I just read your post and just want you to know that many individuals experience this after this type of surgery. Keep in mind that everyone is different and their bodies react differently after surgeries.

I had a total proctocolectomy 14 years ago as a result of Pam Ulcerative colitis. This involved the removal of the entire colon, rectum, and suturing of the anal opening. The sphincter muscles were left intact due to the fact that they were too close to certain nerves. These muscles are part of the process involved in bowel movements. As a result of these muscles remaining in my system, I have had extreme urges to have bowel movements even though the rectum was removed and the anal opening was closed. This is referred to as phantom pains. And boy, they were quite annoying. This urge occurred several times a day, including early morning while still sleeping. This continued for several years. The issue reduced each year, but it took several years to clear up. After 14 years, I still experience it from time to time.

If you feel uncomfortable about your issue, I would suggest visiting your surgeon and see what he/she suggests. There may be something that could help reduce your issue and the "urges". I visited the surgeon several times about this and was informed that because my anal opening was closed, there was nothing to do but let the nerves heal over time. You have to remember that I had no way to eliminate the mucus. The body had to absorb it, but the issue was there. In your case, you would be able to eliminate the mucus buildup.

But for your comfort and concern, visit your surgeon. At least it will put you at ease.

Hermit

Had the same as you with rectal cancer! Ileostomy! Also had the urge to go! Had so much mucus with inactive colon, it was unreal! Reversal failed and changed surgeons. Gave me colostomy for life! No mucus now!