Advice for Managing Nut Allergies

Replies
Views
Iskaheen

Has anyone here been able to eat nutty stuff normally? If so, have you got any advice on that?

Past Member

Hi Iskaheen, it probably depends on whether you have an ileostomy or a colostomy... I know ileostomies can be touchy. I have a colostomy and I pretty much eat anything I want to. No problems whatsoever. Hope you have the same kind of thing. It would be awful to have to give up some of your favorite foods. Wish you the best. Linda

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Yes, I eat nuts and granola bars. I have a colostomy. I chew them very well but still find little bits in my bag. Start with softer nuts and see what happens. Like walnuts or cashews.

Puppyluv56

Iskaheen,

I have a colostomy and have no problems digesting any nuts. Advise to always chew them very well! If you use a drainable pouch, unchewed chunks will go to your pouch and when you squeeze it to empty, those chunks easily poke pin holes in your pouch and you do not know until you smell it! Try small amounts and see what happens.

Puppyluv

Bill

Hello Iskaheen. I have a colostomy and eat nuts with no problems. I do blanche the harder ones by soaking them in boiling water which helps me to chew them more easily. 

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Sasquatch

I have an ileostomy, and nuts for me are okay in small amounts. Even blanched or soaked nuts, if I eat too many of them, cause me some trouble. To eat something containing nuts isn't really a problem, but just to snack on them, for me, is a no-go. They've never caused a full-on blockage, but it is very uncomfortable. Nuts and jalapeno peppers are the only two things I've found in the last two years that I can't eat.

dls

With my colostomy, I can eat anything, and I eat nuts every day (except peanuts, which are not a nut, but a legume). I have no restrictions. I don't know how long it's been since your surgery, but until your intestinal tract is completely reestablished, take it easy. I was 6 months post-surgery before I began eating nuts-- longer than advised, but I like to play it safe. Never had a problem, so when you're ready, munch away.

Iskaheen

Thank you for the response! I have had my colostomy since January 2015, so surely it must be safe enough by now?

Past Member

I can eat as many as I want with an ileostomy without any problems. Just try a small amount at first and see how it goes, it's the only way to find out if they're okay for you.

dls

Ask your doctor, but since it's been awhile, take it slow at first, as you had to do just after surgery. Your system hasn't digested nuts in 3 years—it's in for a little surprise.

ukmaninusa

I have a colostomy and I eat a handful of almonds every day, no problem.

Iskaheen

I appreciate all the responses. I do indeed have a colostomy and do plan to eat a very small amount of chocolate which contains nuts to see how that goes.

Past Member

I'm sure it'll be fine. Heaven forbid that you have to give up chocolate and nuts... They're both good for you and in my humble opinion, chocolate is the best food in the world! LOL

Xerxes

I have an ileostomy and as already stated, in large quantities it's a big problem. This past June, I overdid it with almonds and ended up in the hospital for two days with a blockage; not good.

X_