Freedom of Speech: Do Administrators Allow It?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Definition: The right to express any opinions without cause or restraints.

Do the administrators on this site say it's okay? I don't think so! Of course, the site allows one to express their feelings.

Almost 2 years ago, I was in the chat room. There was a conversation between two members. One was quite vocal in expressing their distaste, the other listening intently. Whether he liked it or not, he showed a great amount of respect. I learned a lesson that day.

Some say we're glad we found MAO because non-ostomates are sometimes cruel in our daily walks. "NEWS FLASH" the same people outside of this site are here. It's like watching an anchorman or woman with a panel. The panel sometimes uses the platform to sell their books, pat themselves on the back, and sometimes take over the show, forgetting they're not the anchorman/woman.

Not everyone comments, let's face it, we all had different problems that resulted in surgery, be it colostomy or ileostomy and urostomy. If you read some profiles, both men and women don't want women to comment, period. Which is their choice, but keep that in mind before commenting.

The reality is we all are different and our reasons for joining are not the same. No doubt about that! The common denominator is the ostomy, some connect with others, some don't. However, when it refers to their particular problem, they do comment. I'm far from an expert but will gladly support and share my journey.

Take care

Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Great post, Angel! I have found this site to be a neutral place to visit, especially noted in the political realm! Glad to be able to go somewhere that people's opinions are muted but experiences are aplenty! I have only experienced good conversation, great advice, and quite a few laughs so far in the 7 months I have been on here and hope that continues!

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
dls

What's wrong? Your posts are fine. If someone doesn't feel that way, they have the right to silence. KNOW THIS ALL: The right to free speech does not include personal abuse, cyber-bullying, sexual remarks, or any other child's play nonsense. We will not agree with everything posted by everyone. Sometimes that leads to an excellent exchange of ideas, advice, and experiences. Sometimes the post is meaningless to you, so stay out of it. Everything posted is not positive, nor should it be...this is not a 'feel good' site. It is an important site for many people, let's keep it that way for ALL of us.

Bill

Hello Angelicamarie. Here you go again with another thought-provoking and interesting post. 

I tend to agree with dls, that all manner of bullying should not be acceptable, even if it is conducted under the label of 'free-speech'. As you are probably aware by now, I am inclined to have a view on almost any subject, sometimes I have legitimately opposing views which I will share in the interests of 'balance'.  I believe that our differences should be shared, valued and respected but not necessarily imposed on others. There have been times in the distant past when some contributers had been rather abusive to fellow ostomates on this site. I, for one, have been pleased to see that this type of bullying is now rarely seen and much of what is written tries to be supportive of those who have come on here because support is what they are looking for. Having said that, There might be room for all sorts of discussions of the debating genre which could be separated from the general posts and indulged in by those who like that sort of thing. I also think that there is a place for 'sick' humour which is not necessarily to everybody's taste and can sometimes cause offence. This too could be separated from the main forum and blogs and given its own space so that people have the choice as to whether they participate or not. I don't often use the chat rooms but I suppose that this sort of correspondence 'might' go on within them on occasions. If so, I would want to be warned that the content might be controversial before I enter, rather than after I have been exposed to it. The above views are also reflective of much of my thinking about the 'media' in all its formats. I just want to know when I should be pressing the 'off' button, long before I start reading, watching or listening.

Best wishes

Bill   

Angelicamarie

Puppyluv, Dls, and Bill. I so appreciate the compliment on the post. I was not angry nor did anyone say anything derogatory to me about anything.

I mentioned the chat room ... because one was talking about their distaste about a subject. The other individual had enough respect to listen whether he liked it or not. My lesson was respect others!!!

Trust and believe, I'm aware that this is not a feel good group atmosphere. If that was so, as a ostomate I wouldn't be a member. I do know what is tolerated and not, if I had any questions I would in fact ask the administrator.

As far as people not commenting, that's their decision, I said that and nothing more. I simply wrote a post from my view!

Thanks for your comments!!

Angelicamarie

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Puppyluv56

Your post was spot on! We should all learn from the listener in the chat room and take it outside of this site as well! Too many bad things going on. It is a great thing to agree to disagree!

Morning glory

Angelicamarie, thank you for sharing your post and views. I do enjoy reading your posts and tend to agree so far with your perspective on issues. Respecting others' views is so important, as we can always learn from others.

Puppyluv56

Hi Morning Glory,

I have not seen you here much lately! Hope you are doing well! I know the recovery in your area is slow but hope most damage from the hurricanes has been repaired! Not sure about up there but it has rained every day for the last week. Today is the first day of sun we have had and everything is so saturated it is crazy! Have a great day and take care!

Puppy

Angelicamarie

Morning Glory... Appreciate your comments. If only respect was demonstrated by all!!

Take care

Angelicamarie

Xerxes

Hey Angel,

In my opinion, our First Amendment rights are gradually deteriorating. All people should have the right to express their feelings and opinions no matter how controversial, as long as they are respectful and do not promote hate and harm. We know, for instance, that you can't just yell "fire" in a movie theater.

X_

Angelicamarie

Xerxes... I agree it has deteriorated. I hate to look at the news, trouble in all lands. I wonder if we will get it together before it's too late. Thanks for your comments!
Angelicamarie

dls

Xerxes, I agree. Sure, you have freedom of speech these days--just as long as you're talking 'the correct line'. So many people cannot handle anything except their own opinions, some become downright dangerous when a dissenting opinion is voiced. I credit this to a largely undereducated population. It is education of all sorts that teaches us respect for others' opinions, the proper way to express one's own, and the sophistication of mind to agree to disagree, without rancor (I've said this before).

Xerxes

Dls,

Amen to that. Thank you. I concur entirely.

X_

Xerxes

Angel,

It's never too late, but the window is closing, I fear.

X_

Caz67

Hi Angelica Marie

I didn't know you could see what others were putting. But totally agree with you on this. Xx