ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,591 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,591 OstoMates.

Do You Have Extra Supplies To Donate?

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi All,

I have had the pleasure to meet a young woman on this site that lives in the Philippines that has a one year old son with an ileostomy. He had surgery at 3 months old. Their healthcare does not pay for any supplies and she has contacted several organizations in the Philippines and the US and were told they did not have any to give her at this time. She is doing the best she can by using trash bags and tape. You can imagine the irritation he has from tape. Even though he is a little one, she will make any supplies she can get work for him! I have sent her some things to start with and if you have any spare supplies that didn’t particularly work the best for you, she is most grateful for anything. I am glad to pass on her name and address for those who are able to help! 

Puppyluv

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 am

Hey Puppy!

i have a few outlets I can look into locally here and being the VP of a local chapter of the UOAA hopefully I can come up with something.  I’ll start looking into it tomorrow 11/15 East Coast.  I’m not a full paying member but if you could convey this to the mother that would be fabulous.

k

Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:15 am

Hi.  Yes, I have some extra supplies I could send her.  Trash bags and tape!  Jeez!  That breaks my heart.  That poor little kid.  If you'll send me her address, I'd be happy to send some to her.

Linda

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 am

please send me the address too, thx

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:47 am

Awesome guys! Just to let you know, it is very expensive to send to the Philippines!  I will send you her address! You guys are great! 

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am

Thank you so much!  I will pass that along and thank you but so much for you help! Breaks my heart! When we all think that life has somehow pulled a few tricks on us, there is always someone that had more tricks in the bag! 

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am

i wonder if the correct supplies are available in her country, it may be cheaper to just send cash if they can be bought locally?

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:26 am

I am not sure but that is an option. I will ask her.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Mmsh, 

Just to follow up, Naz 100601 says that one pouch cost $9-$11 dollars over there and they do not last. She said maybe one day and one only lasted 5 hours that her Mother bought for her. I am sure a one year old has a few different needs than an adult especially crawling around and learning to walk. 

Puppyluv

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:48 am

G'day Puppy,

I'm brand new here and live in Australia.   My name is Tom hence my handle OzTomate.   I just did a quick freight search on the Philippines and can send 1 kg for about 30 bucks Oz.   It takes a lot of bags (pouches) to make 1 kg and I have plenty of new spares.   If you care to PM me with contact details I'll see what I can put together Smile

Cheers

Last edited by OzTomate on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:55 am

Having posted supplies to the Phillipines in the past < i can attest to the fact that it is quite expensive. However, this case is heartrendering an I have no practical suggestions as to how the situation can be made better for the the child and the family. This is a classic case where the solution should be taylor-made to suit the child and, if they were in  the UK we could probably come up with something suitable. In the mean time, Naz sounds as if she is doing the bast she can with whatever she gets given. 

I don't have many spare supplies myself but if you send me the address I will post them asap. and discuss whether there is anything I can make which might be of use in this situation.

Best wishes

Bill

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:35 pm

puppyluv56k, MY APPOLOGIES.  I have further researched your request on behalf of the young lady in the Phillipines.  Her post from feb. 2018 was misleading in that it seemed as if SHE had the ostomy and her way of describing "this thing attached to my stomach" while having no ostomy supplies and explaining that she was using plastic wrap and tape for her ostomy was confusing.  The photos she has posted of her son are heartbreaking.  My own bad experience with someone with no conscience has apparently caused my own judgement to be questionable as to being more compassionate.  Please forgive my earlier response, as you can see I have omitted it from the post.

Peace

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks Dadnabit! I am confident that she is who she says she is and really needs assistance! She is a sweet young Mother and her baby is adorable but the situation is heartbreaking! Thanks for your input as well as your correction! It is always in our best interest to investigate everything these days!  Puppyluv

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:24 am

I have a few Hollister wafers that I can send. Not sure if they would work. The Hollister P/N is 15202. They are cut to fit.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.