Redness and Bleeding Around Stoma: Need Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Tink75

I've had my ostomy for close to 10 years now...and have been through MANY different surgeries for it before the stoma came out correctly...and many appliances. All of them before the 1 I'm using now were cut so it fit "Sami the stoma" like a bib. The new appliance they have me using now...however...is different. It doesn't snuggle Sami in...leaving quite a bit of skin exposed. This has caused quite the redness immediately surrounding him. Whenever I change the appliance, I notice that the red skin is bleeding. I use the powder which burns the area when it first hits it.

My question is...isn't the appliance supposed to fit snugly around the stoma? Like a bib so to speak? That's always been my understanding but I could be wrong?

Do any of you have different ideas as to how to manage the red skin?

Any input would help immensely!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hi,

There are many skin barrier creams and sprays that are supposed to prevent it from happening. I have not had this problem, so I'm not sure what works best. I would think that all appliances that come pre-cut can be ordered cut to fit as well. My stoma used to fit perfectly to a 1" pre-cut pouch, but somewhere along the way it has gone a little oval, so I cut my own and they work so much better! Hopefully, you can find something that works!

Do you use barrier rings? Maybe one could be cut to fill in the space until you can find something that fits you better!

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sasquatch

Same here, mine is a little oval-shaped. I've always cut-to-fit. Pre-cut is not something I will buy if I can help it. I'd talk to someone about going back to your cut-to-fit wafers. If your fit is not right, you might not resolve the redness. Another thing you might look into is a barrier ring to "fill the gap" so to speak. The output, especially ileostomy output, is caustic. It contains a lot of digestive fluids. It's basically trying to digest your skin.

Tink75

My wafer is cut to fit...because the circle is too small if I don't cut it. The problem is that the line where I have to cut is slightly bigger than my stoma. It doesn't always begin to burn with the output...but when it does, it feels like my skin is coming off!

Bill

Hello Tink75.  It might be worth trying a stoma collar. This is made from a very soft rubber and acts as a small sleeve to guide the output away from the skin. They helped me when I had this sort of problem until I found my own solution.

Best wishes

Bill

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Kikijael

I have also had that problem. My ostomy nurse suggested I use a product called Butt Paste. It is found in the baby care section of almost all stores. It contains zinc which helps heal the skin. You only use a very small amount or else the appliance won't adhere securely. Then I use a barrier wipe and some powder. Cleared up the skin in very little time. You may want to ask your doctor or ostomy nurse about it. I also use a convex ring. Hope this helps. Kiki