Clip detachment issue with colostomy pouch - seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on dealing with clip detachment issues with colostomy pouches.
crossley8

Has anyone had a similar experience? I have had my colostomy for one year. Twice in that time, my clip has become detached from my pouch, leaving the pouch open! The first time the whole clip just seemed to slip from the pouch. That was several months ago. No more problems until this morning, when the clip actually came undone. Both times I was at home, so could quickly fix things, but I am freaked out about what I would do if it happened in public. I don't use a lubricant. The first time, when it slipped off, I figured I hadn't put it high enough on the neck of the pouch. This time, when it came undone, I thought maybe it was "worn out," so I used a new clip. I use Convatec pouches and Hollister clips. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

countyclare

Greetings, for the very reasons you stated, I stopped using those clips many years ago. I use what I believe are called squeeze paper clips which are normally used to clip paper documents together. They are about a half inch wide in diameter and can be found in the Staples stores and in the stationary sections of any drug store. After emptying the pouch, I fold the end (opening) of the pouch three times, and then fan fold it so it is about the same width as the squeeze paper clip. Squeeze the paper clip open and place it over the folded end of the pouch. This will hold the pouch very secure.

I personally have had no "accidents" or leaks using the squeeze paper clip to close the end of the pouch. A squeeze clip is very sturdy and can be used for months. I always carry an extra squeeze clip with me in case I lose the clip I am using while emptying the pouch in a toilet, or in case the clip breaks. Fortunately, this has never happened during the past thirty years.

Hope this information is helpful. Don't hesitate to contact me for further information.

Mike

The same squeeze clip can be used for months

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
NJ Bain

Crossley8,

I too use the Convatec pouches and clips. But I had an accident about 6 months after my surgery at work. The clip had worn out and just came undone. Since then, I use 2 clips in case one fails.

Another option is to use pouches with the Velcro enclosures. I hear they're great but I'm happy with the clips. Just my 2 cents.

Bain

Puppyluv56

Have you guys tried the pouches that have the Velcro-type pouch closures? I have only had one experience with a clip, and it was when I was using one to hold the bottom of my irrigation sleeve! Of course, it did not hold, and poo was all over the bathroom. They are made so cheaply. I throw them away when they come in my irrigation kits! Never again! I went to the store and bought a bag of clothespins, and they work wonderfully to irrigate but not so much for normal pouch wear! I have never had any issue with the closure on Convatec or Coloplast pouches!

Puppyluv

Morning glory

Hi, are you making sure you feel it click in place? I have never had this happen to me. Just a suggestion.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

I'm with Countyclare on this one. The paper clips work well and a very secure.

countyclare

Thanks for the comment, Bill.

Mike (County Clare)

ron in mich

Hi all, I've had my ileo. now for 33 years and have had only one clip break on me because I used it too long. I get two clips per box of pouches. When half the box of pouches is used, I switch clips. I clip my pouch about an inch and a half up but only let the pouch fill up about a third and then empty it.

Xerxes

Hi,

I have had my ileostomy for almost 40 years, and over this time, I had three accidents where the clip opened up and everything was released. This occurred early on. I have remedied the problem by simply using a rubber band around the end of the clip. I carry a couple with me, and I'm always secure. I have tried those pouches with the Velcro tips and have never felt secure with them, especially after your initial emptying.

Xerxes

Puppyluv56

Isn't it funny what each of us feels more secure with!!

Goes back to a favorite saying "One Man's trash is another Man's treasure!

So many of us are molded by our first experience with products that in most cases were our own doing as newbies in the Ostomy world!

Puppyluv

Mrs.A

Love the Velcro closures. I lost a clip down the toilet once and had to use a paper clip until I got home. Never again for me.

dls

County Clare (been there, love it), I know the clips you're talking about. They used to be called 'Adam's clamps' in the olden days, here they are called binder clips. My question: don't the metal 'handles' poke and get uncomfortable? DLS

countyclare

Hi, just fold both of the "handles" down, give them a squeeze, and go on my way. I've never had any problems.

Make sure you "fan-fold" up the opening of the pouch two or three times, then fold the end so it fits snugly into the clip.

Best wishes, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Hermit
Only happened twice in 4 years! Use Convatec! Have had Velcro type come undone several times! I use 2 clips when concerned such as in intimate relationship!
dls

Thanks, I fully understand and it makes sense. Those 'Adam's clamps' are bulldogs, they never fall apart or come loose--we've used them around the house for years. Thanks for the hack, I never would have thought of it. DLS

countyclare

Thanks for your reply. Happy holidays!!

Little Red

I have had my colostomy for a little over 2 1/2 years and have, from day one, used Hollister pouches with the Velcro. I have never had a problem and they are easy to hide and easy to open to drain. I would never use the clips. I worked in the medical field and seen many pouches with those old-fashioned clips, and there was often a problem with them coming undone.

Hermit

Hello Little Red, past 5 years have used 2-piece Convatec pouches! Tried the Velcro and came undone twice! Very embarrassing! Have never had trouble with clips! We all have our preferences! Good luck!