Concerns about Stoma and Liquid Output - Need Advice!

Replies
Views
Gemd

Photo attached. Since last night, I've had liquid output. I can hear gurgling. No pain, no fever. I changed my bag because it leaked from the diarrhea, and my stoma has a little purple around the middle of the column part. Is that normal? It also seems that the skin on my belly around it is a little raised, but I'm not sure if it has always been slightly raised and I never noticed. As my stoma is 2.5 months old, so I'm still new to all this. /></p>
						</div>
					</div>
                    <div class=

Past Member

It could be constipation. Ask for an appointment with your stomach care.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gemd

I now have a little output that is less liquidy. I had a lot of fiber yesterday, so maybe it causes an issue.

NJ Bain

Gem,

It looks like maybe the hole for your stoma on your pouch or wafer may not have been large enough for your stoma to expand. This can cause the stoma to swell to larger than normal and cause the skin around it to raise slightly. The hole should be cut to the widest size as your stoma. It's okay if a little bit of skin is exposed as long as you use a skin prep.

I wouldn't worry about the purple part as long as the rest of your stoma is a nice bright red like it is now. If it turns pale or light pinkish, you're not getting enough blood supply to it.

Do you use a 1 or 2-piece system? And where did it leak?

Bain

Little Red

The usual rule of thumb is when applying your pouch/bag, leave 1/8 of an inch from your stoma. But if you are in doubt, go to your ER and have it checked out. Some swelling around a stoma can be normal. I had mine checked awhile ago by my surgeon since I have developed a small hernia, but I wear a stoma/hernia belt and it helps.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Gemd

Ah, perhaps I did cut my hole too close to my stoma. I lost my stoma-hole scissors (waiting for new ones in the mail) so my sizing and cutting is a little off. But that seems to make sense for my stoma. Thanks.

The leak was to the side, looks like the Eakins ring got kind of....disintegrated from diarrhea and so the diarrhea leaked out.

I use a one-piece.

Little Red

I also use a one-piece Hollister 8331, and when mine leaks, it is always to the inside (seldom). You can go to any pharmacy and purchase a pair of bandage nursing scissors to cut your pouches with. That is what I use, and they work really well. Also, Walmart pharmacy carries stool softener for $4. Your stool should be the thickness of pudding, so if you need to thin it, use one or two of these a day (AM and PM). I don't use anything except my pouch and water to clean with, then apply a fresh one every 5 or 6 days. Just make sure the area around your stoma is good and dry before applying. Then, I use a warm washcloth and hold it over the whole pouch, then a dry one and hold for a few minutes. This seems to help with no leaks. So far, it has worked for me.

Newbie Dana

Really liquid output can be from a number of causes, everything from a bug, to the barium smoothie they give you before a CT scan sometimes, to a slight blockage. Hard to tell sometimes; there are a lot of factors that can affect it. However, beware of taking what I call "fiber in a jar" or fiber supplements like Metamucil. While I understand many people take them with no problem, I have found that even a mild dose can cause near-crippling gas, cramps, and very soft/liquid output. And while I can eat beans and other natural food sources of fiber with no problem, they do need to be properly cooked - I used some split peas in a soup and did not cook them long enough, and ended up with severe gas.

I have also found that popcorn and some seeds swell up in my intestine and will not easily go through my stoma (although it may be that they won't let my stoma expand enough for them to go through the hole in my wafer). Everybody is different in what causes blockages, though. Good luck, and hope everything successfully passes eventually.

Oh, and a stomach bug is the worst. Especially when traveling. 11 pouches in a day and a half. Miserable. I certainly hope you haven't had that!