Using Eakin Seals or Hollister Adapt Flat barrier rings for a flat stoma

Replies
Views
iMacG5

I use these seals after I modify them.  Since the skin around my stoma is reasonably flat I'm told I don't need these rings and to just use the 2-piece Convatec Moldable wafer system.  I probably will in time.  For now though, I buy the rings, cut them in thirds, roll each third between my palms until it's about 3 and a-half inches long, make a circle about an inch in diameter, flatten each to about a sixteenth of an inch then apply one around the stoma after using the Cavilon barrier film and before I apply the wafer. Sorry for the very long sentence.  Please tell me and I'll rewrite it more clearly if needed.  With this method I never had a leak in my nearly nine stoma years.  (I'm now knocking on any piece of wood in reach.)  So I get 150 seals from a box of 50 and I probably do three times as much work as needed but I'm too chicken to change anything.

Storing them for the next change is another consideration we can discuss.

Respectfully,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Mike,

That is great to know and very clear! Thanks for the trick!

We are all looking for those little tricks that work for others and could be our saving grace as well!

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,431 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hey Pup, I'm so glad you understood what I was trying to write and thanks so much for your kind reply.

Sincerely,

Mike

Puppyluv56

I did send you a private message, Mike.

Angelicamarie

iMacG5... Thanks for sharing, it obviously works for you. You say no leaks in nine years. "Wow". Great!

Angelicamarie

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Pirrip

Good tips!

iMacG5

Thanks Pirrip.  Hope it helps.

Mike

Mrs.A

Yes, this is a good tip, well written, and easily understood. I have some rings but they are much too fat and would keep my flange from sitting snug to my skin. I might just have to give this a try if needed and they won't go to waste.

Thanks, Mike

iMacG5

Hey Mrs.A, please let us know how it works out for you.

Respectfully,

Mike

dls

iMac Mike, great minds think alike! I started doing this with my EakinSlims while my nurses were still visiting. As an engineer, I bet they are cut in perfect equidistant thirds. No leaking, but I stopped doing it because I would rub the piece between my palms to make a 'wormie', then wrap that around my stoma and apply pouch. Sometimes a piece or two would fall into my bag. After reading your post, I started flattening the wormie. Works much better. Oh, I found some Adapt barrier rings in the stuff they sent home with me from the hospital. I really like them--they are sticky and really moldable, short shelf life as you can see from the super packaging. Thanks for the tip enhancement! dls

iMacG5

Hey Dls, I'm so happy we're on the same page.  I think it's important to always look for ways to make our lives a little easier.  I confess to using a protractor to make a template with marks at 120, 240 and 360 degrees.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

dls

Wise guy...

iMacG5

You probably meant "Nerd".

Mike

Puppyluv56

Hahaha Mike! Yep, pretty nerdy! ;JK

Whatever it takes, right?

Pup