Need help with Convatec Bags' filters?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing and troubleshooting issues with Convatec ostomy bags' filters.
JM_IN_MD

Hello all, so I finally decided to try out the Convatec Natura bags with the built-in filters. I know they are supposed to release gas, but when I tried the first one, it did not appear to be working. I did not put the little cover on it and wondered if there was something I was supposed to do to make it work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mdq58

I have tried this system, Convatec user of 42 years. While it did let sit out, it also let a tiny amount of pouch contents leak through the filter too. I stopped using them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mild_mannered_super_hero

Bags with filters work great for letting gas out, however a tiny bit of liquid will make them inoperative in short order. If you have a colostomy and firm output, you may be able to get 2 days before the filter clogs. Back when I used those, I would fold up about 4 squares of toilet tissue and put it in the bottom of the bag. This will trap any small amount of liquid and keep it away from the filter.

Xerxes

I agree entirely with all of you. I have used them a few times over almost 40 years and found that they just don't work. The leakage problem ruined my clothing.

Xerxes

Puppyluv56

I am beginning to be doubtful that the filters are good at all! I thought because I used a deodorant/lubricant that it messed my filter up! I stopped using the lubricant and the filter still did not work! Of course, if any liquid gets up by the filter, it is definitely done with its job! I find myself burping Betty a lot! So changing to a filter-free pouch may be the answer! Never tried the ones you attach! Anyone have any experience with them?

Puppyluv

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

I found that the same filtered bag does not let out gas. I use Convatec without a filter and put in an EZ Vent to let gas out.

Puppyluv56

Hey Pietrzak,

I will have to look those up! Are they reusable or one bag use?

I just ordered three month's supplies with filters but may ask for a sample since the built-ins don't work! Thanks for the tip!

Puppyluv

Past Member

Yes, reusable. I use Convatec 416420 with a filter and cut away a little fabric to put in EZ Vent. I ordered Convatec 413335 without a filter, but I do not like the closure system. Write me if you have any questions. I'm glad to chat.

Puppyluv56

Are those one-piece pouches?

Past Member

Two-piece accordion flange

Mrs.A

I've used the EZ Vent and don't find them reusable unless you want to reglue them onto another pouch.

Past Member

They are not meant to be reused just like your bag

dls

Wow, talk about great minds...this just happened to me. Yesterday I was wearing a closed-end Convatec pouch. All afternoon while I was running errands, I kept getting that 'almighty stink' that usually heralds (like the Christmas reference?) a leak. Couldn't find anything. Smell lingered. Kept running my errands and filling up the bag. When I got home and was ready to bathe, I discovered some small brown spots on my undies--right in front of where the filter would be, nothing, no leakage or wetness near the adhesive wafer or on the bag. I even examined the bag to see if there was a tiny leak. Nothing. Due to its placement, it MUST have been leakage from the filter. The particular bag I was using is among my least favorites because of the stinky filter--it does not have a charcoal filter--just a silly little 'screen'--lets out the stinky gas but does nothing about it. This has always happened with this bag. My first 'leak'. For the most part, I am a filter lover--with my heavy, sticky, sludge as output I must pour water into my bag to loosen things up so I can empty the bag. After emptying, I have found that with good filters I add new water and really rinse, using my hand (outside the bag, of course) to slosh around under the filter. With bags that I prefer, this will clear the filter. I need to start a thread on appliances, or this will be three pages with none of your opinions and experiences. "Good" bags with properly designed filters clear easily, and I have NEVER had a leak--except for yesterday and this closed-end pouch. Filters are important, and it depends on your output. I have briefly used Coloplast Sensura Mio, OMG That HUGE, circular filter is impossible to clear with output like mine. We need to talk.

Hermit

I use a toothpick.

freedancer

The darn things have never worked very well for me. I just gave up on them. I just use some deodorant for it and it is fine.

Hermit

Don't work.

Puppyluv56

No, they don't

Past Member

Must agree with everyone on the filter being useless. Although, I wanted to add that I have been using a teaspoon of baking soda to absorb all those nasty smells. It really does work.

Hermit

They don't work!