Tips for Flange Skin & Stoma Care

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Dancingthrough

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie. Had my surgery on October 23/18 - irreversible colostomy. I'm coping quite well and grasping this new world. I'd like to air the skin that gets covered up by the flange. What can I do with my stoma for an hour or so to stop the poop from dropping all over the place. Is there some kind of stopper I can get? Look forward to suggestions. Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,108 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pirrip

Hi newbie! I'm no expert, had my stumpy thing about 18 months, eventually you will find when your tummy has its quiet times, usually evenings for me, but depends on when and what you eat .... then you can relax a bit between bag changes, after clean up, just keep a few tissues handy.... You never stop learning in this game and there is new stuff coming out to make things easier. Others may offer more learned advice.... Bill? lol

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Hi Dancing,

Sorry to hear about things...but I'm in the same position, so I know what you're going through. It gets easier after you get used to things. Like Bill said, you'll learn when your system gets quiet and you can do the airing out thing. You'll probably hear this again, but if you have a colostomy, you may be able to do the irrigation thing. You'll probably find that to be super if you do it. It makes you feel almost normal...and you can air your skin out as many hours as you want to. Good luck to you newbie...you'll become a pro in no time.

Linda

Pabs72

Hi, this answer may only apply to me, but here goes - I'm six months in with my permanent colostomy and I find a nice warm/hot bath seems to stop any activity with my stoma for the duration and a little while after my soak. I tend to be careful and have plenty of dry wipes or tissue around me, but I always air dry and let my skin have a well-earned break before applying a new pouch. I second the irrigation suggestion, I've just started down that road and I'm actually irrigating as I'm typing he he!

Best of luck with everything!

P x

Pabs72

Road not toad!!! LOL

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Dancingthrough

I am very interested in the irrigation idea. My surgeon just told me last week to wait for about six months before experimenting. The warm bath sounds good and I will give it a try. Thanks to both of you and hopefully we will talk again. Take care

Bill

Hello Dancingthrough. 

Welcome to MAO and thank you for inviting us to comment on your situation. My first thought is you might have misheard the advice from your surgeon. Mine advised to leave it for six 'weeks' before irrigating. However, everyone is different and there might be different circumstances in your case to take into consideration. The sooner you can get started with irrigating, the sooner these sorts of problems will be part of your past.

Don't be afraid of doing a bit of experimentation with different things to see what affects your stoma in different ways. Phab's idea of a hot/warm bath seems like a good idea - but it wouldn't have worked for me because hot/warm water stimulated my stoma to relax and expel anything immediately inside. However, cold water had the opposite effect, causing the stoma to shrivel and close up the whole, which stopped output for the time it was shrivelled. Early on, one of the manufacturers gave me a plastic cup to rinse the stoma. I still use that but noticed last week that my daughter's yogurt pot was exactly the same shape and would have done the same job. I'm sure an ordinary cup would do it, but the plastic containers are see-through, which enables us to see exactly what is happening and when. You could use something similar to see what effect hot/warm  and cold water has on your stoma. 

I find that these little pots are great for cleaning the stoma area when I don't have the time or inclination to bath or shower.

Also, I have recently taken to using an incontintence pad under my hernia belt  to soak up any output whilst I GIVE THE STOMA A REST FROM MY NORMAL ROUTINE. I'm not sure how, or if,  this would work if you are not irrigating but it might be worth a try.

Best wishes

Bill   

iMacG5

Don't discount the power of a marshmellow or two.  I just don't know if constipation might result.  Let's just ask for more opinions.

Respectfully,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Hi Dancing!

Welcome to the site! I had a tough time when I first had my surgery! I could hardly change my pouch without pooping all over the place! Lol It was horrible and not sure I would have survived without all the help of the folks here! I found pouch systems better than others but less than perfect! Leaks all the time and made me crazy! Lol Irrigation changed the whole game! After I irrigate, on Appliance change day, I always shower with no pouch and usually let my skin air out while I get ready and then put on a new pouch. I only change appliances every 6 or so days so get to do that once a week! Feels good! I think we are all different but I am not sure what your Doctor is waiting on for that long! I would think as long as your stoma has healed, you should be good! I started about 3 months and only because I did not have a great Ostomy care system!

Puppyluv

Dancingthrough

Looks like I'm going to be a busy girl. Thanks for all the good advice. Irrigation is truly looking like something I want to try. I'll just have to order the equipment and start reading on how to do it. I also like the cup idea, Bill.

Puppyluv56

Dancing,

Just Google Ostomy irrigating and watch the YouTube videos. Many different ways and preferences! We all have used what fits us best. Irrigation supplies are also a personal preference. I have been using Convatec 2-piece pouch, sleeve, and irrigation bag. It is all or nothing. The irrigation sleeves are only for their product companion! I have just ordered the Coloplast kits and all that goes with it. I really liked the Coloplast one-piece, my favorite as far as 1 piece. I wanted to try the 2-piece but had all the Convatec supplies. I will then determine which I want to continue using! Pretty sure it will be Coloplast. Any water bag will work as long as you have the cone that fits. I would certainly ask the companies for samples of their 2-piece and the irrigation sleeves to fit. Better than buying something you don't like and not having coverage for something else for a month or so. Good luck on this! You will certainly find some freedom!

Puppyluv

Dancingthrough

Thanks Puppyluv

Puppyluv56

Always glad to help with any questions you may have!

Puppy

anyark

Hi,

I change my appliance in the morning when my stoma is quieter. I sit on my bed on a large towel. I have paper towels, a bowl of warm water, and a garbage bag, in case it spits, which it often does. Because I want my skin to breathe for a while, I stay there for 15-30 minutes before putting on a new appliance. This is simple and works well for me.

Past Member

Best time to change the bag is first thing in the morning when you get up. Do not eat. This will buy you some time.

Dancingthrough

Thanks for your reply.

bigal1579

Airing out the skin is a really important idea. Longer is probably better, but even 10-20 minutes will make a big difference. I would guess that you get 80% of the benefit in the first 15 minutes.

Also, the only way I do changes is with a shower so I can get the surrounding skin very nice and clean.

I keep some toilet paper near my towel, so as soon as I get out of the shower, I put that near the opening. If my stoma is fairly quiet, that will suffice to gather any minor rogue output, but if it starts getting active, I just stand over the toilet and let it fall directly in. If your stoma is really quiet, give it more time, but if things are moving, feel free to stop after 10 minutes and give it some more time next change.

If you are planning on a full hour, that is a lot to ask, and it becomes a lot more complicated. If you keep it simpler and end up agreeing that 10-20 minutes is very helpful, then it is pretty easy to do.

Dancingthrough

Thank you. I have managed 15 minutes so far right out of the shower. May sound silly but it feels really good to have nothing on - no indecent innuendo intended lol - you know what I mean. Such a great site. I have learned so much.

Angelicamarie

Dancing through: No, it doesn't sound silly, quite courageous. I haven't tried, the activities of my intestines are not predictable, so in saying that "you go girl".

Puppyluv56

Dancing,

It is baby steps in everything we do. Trial and error! Heck, I have thought to put a chair in the shower and just read for an hour! Better to clean up! When you irrigate, you will get more of that freedom time without a pouch!

Puppyluv

Dancingthrough

In the new year, I'm going to try irrigating. Just too busy right now to get into any kind of a schedule. Merry Christmas.

Past Member

Great time to start, dancing. I'm pretty sure you'll become a convert. Merry Christmas to you too!

Puppyluv56

Perfect timing, Dancing! Good luck!

Puppyluv

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, I'm New Life. Yeah, I say the same as soon as you get up, but what do you want to do when you first get up... well, we must do what we have to do, right? I know I don't feel good ever, and I don't hear anyone complaining of discomfort, pain, or irritation. What's that? I'm over 5 years with a colostomy and hernia, then 3 more surgeries with an ileostomy now, and pray no more s... it was very hard, mostly alone. I have been a pad I tuck in my underwear, and it's a big one, but it works great. I put it on my lap and put everything on it. Then, when I'm done, I wrap it up and put it in a trash bag ready to put it in, and then you have it all in one place on your lap. Put it all in.

Caz67

Hi dancing through

I have an ileostomy and I too like my skin to get some air. What I do is use one of the black plastic bags and tuck the top part into my tracks bottom or my knickers. That way, if anything should come out, it will be caught in the bag. Hope you find a way. Xx