Itching and Irritation Under My Pouch - Need Help!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Little Red

Hi, you all, I'm having a problem with itching under my pouch. I use a one-piece Hollister. I like the way it fits and haven't had any leaks for over 2 months. But sometimes after I change it within a day or two, I am itching. I tried using a smaller pouch and I itch around the barrier. I also have some little blister-like irritations. I have used several things to try and stop this or heal the irritation. Any ideas.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Marob

Hi, I have experienced the same skin reaction. My stoma nurse suggested I use the puffer inhaler that is used by people with asthma! I know that sounds a bit bizarre but you spray it directly onto the rash and as it dries instantly it allows the bag to stick on without any problem! The steroid creams I found were useless as they leave the skin greasy so the bag won't stick, so the steroid spray is excellent! Hope this helps! Take care!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Sounds as if you have an allergy to something in that pouch. I would try another similar to the Hollister. Coloplast, have you tried them! I liked the one-piece Coloplast. Prefer the two-piece products! Always an option. I do not have any irritation from any of the ones I have tried. Have not tried any Hollister products though. I am currently using the Convetec two-piece and it has a material-like adhesive around the flange that is very nice and comfy and sticks. It is soft too!

iMacG5

Hey Red, I use Convatec stuff but I've talked with Hollister folks on the phone.  They seemed very interested in my situation and offered lots of help.  Just a thought.  Lots of folks used all kinds of creams and ointments with success.  If you use the search function I think you'll find the right stuff.

Let us know how you make out, please.

Mike

Bill

Hello Little Red. I agree with what has been said by others about working your way through as many samples as possible. However, I tried all sorts of things and none of them worked satisfactorily. Then I began experimenting with making my own baseplates to stick the pouches to. This way I could make them to my own measurements and specifications. It so happens that the best ones for me were oblong in shape and slighly curved at the top an bottom edges so that they don't dig in to my skin when I bend. They are attached by one or two belts, depending on what I am using them for and to stop them slipping I use a miniscule amount of medical adhesive spray. I find this sticks better than the glue on the normal flanges, is far easier to remove and, more imporatntly, no irritations!. Oh! and the bags last for as long as you want them to - I've been using the same bags and sleeves for months at a time. ( I don't 'need' to make them last, as all my supplies come via the NHS and are free at the point of delivery.) 

Best wishes

Bill 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Red, could it be that when you remove the wafer, tiny hairs are being pulled out and the new wafer causes the spots to sting or itch?

Raine061

You might have an allergy or it could be fungal. I had a similar issue and the doc gave me a script for an antifungal with a steroid. I just rubbed it in and then put a good layer of skin prep over it. Good luck.

Superme

Hi Little Red. I've had similar but worse issues. Not only was my skin itchy under my pouch but I also had psoriasis. I went to a dermatologist and he suggested a medication called Stelara. I would definitely suggest that you see a dermatologist. I found relief and you could too. Good luck!

Past Member

I have the same itching problem. I don't know why sometimes it's so itchy I could rip the bag off. I found that when I eat things with lots of sugar, it's worse. So I've cut down, barely have anything sweet, and I rarely itch now.