Hybrid solution for irrigation and stoma output management

Replies
Views
Pabs72

Hi everyone,

I posted last week about irrigating and would like to give you an update on how it is going in the hope that it may inspire an idea in someone, just as Bill has inspired me to experiment - the irrigating has been going well but gas has been a problem all day in the office! Anyway - I decided to experiment with a stoma plug, but was nervous as I have a bit of output randomly throughout the day, so I have made a plug / pouch hybrid by trimming the plug sticky circle / flange just enough to still stick but allowing my usual pouch to adhere over it and to my skin

Pabs72

It works to stop gas from being audible, while giving me the security of a pouch!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,445 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Phabs72.

Thanks for the update and I'm pleased that what you are doing is working for you. I did not mention that I too cut the flange around the stoma plug because I assume people cut their flanges to suit the sizes and shapes of their stomas- just like they would if it was a flsange for a bag. I'm presently experimenting with a different sort of plug, but that's another story which I will share at sometime in the future  - only if it works!

Best wishes

Bill 

Pabs72

Thank you, Bill! I'll look forward to reading about your alternative plug!

Paul

Dancingthrough

Hi. I'm seriously thinking about trying irrigating. It sounds complicated at this point. How do you know which time is the right time to irrigate? I seem to poop through the day at any given time but it seems to be the most during the night. With this in mind, would I irrigate first thing in the morning or last thing at night?

I'm glad you both are finding success and still experimenting to find the best solutions to share with us.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Puppyluv56

Dancing,

Irrigation is different for everyone, but I would think that as long as your stoma has healed and you are ready, then it is time! The time of the day that you irrigate should fit your lifestyle! I am retired and do not have to be anywhere! I started out doing it at night but was tired or just dreaded going to do it. I would rather be with the family. It was suggested to try the morning, and that seems to work better for me. I just make it part of my normal morning routine, just before my shower. I did not like doing it every day, so I do it every other morning. It works well. I do have some output in between times that I irrigate, but sometimes not, so once a day is great compared to having to empty the pouch 10 times a day. Either time you try, I was told to be consistent, but I am not always that. Sometimes if I have a scheduled appointment, I will either skip my day and do it the following morning or maybe later on the day of the appointment. Either way works for me! If I had to get up to work every day, I could never manage the extra time it takes. It takes me about 40-45 minutes! Set up, irrigate, and clean up! Better than being in the bathroom on and off all day! Lol

Good luck! Puppyluv

Pabs72

Hi Dancing, I tend to get up an hour earlier than I normally would to irrigate, so I can get some freedom in work all day, just find a time that best suits you and as I've read from more experienced Osto mates - don't let it rule you, within reason, it's up to you! It doesn't have to be at the exact same time every time, I wear a pouch and or a plug for safety anyway so I know if I'm too tired or have other stuff to do, my pouch will be there. For me it's about levels - I'd rather be irrigating as best I can even if I miss an irrigation - the consequences aren't as bad as before I irrigated!

P

Bill

Hello Dancingthrough. The choice of timing is entirely down to you, your lifestyle and what you want out of it. Puppyluv has summed it up by saying that she has been flexible and experimented with what suits her.  I try to irrigate every night at the same time but I won't let that get in the way of anything else I want to do, so if I have appointments or want a night out, I defer the irrigation to a different time and sometimes that can be the next morning. It used to take me a couple of hours from start to finish and then I would get a little output during the night. However, I have found that since I stopped writing at that time and sitting, waiting for it to be over, things have improved no end. I now stand up and irrigate, bending over to empty the sleeve when it gets too heavy and finding other things to do whilst the emptying process takes place.  This new routine has cut my time down to about 30-45 minutes, which makes it much more acceptable. Also, I don't seem to be having output after the process ends which is a bonus. As I have said many times before, it pays to experiment and not to think that once you are in a set routine it cannot get any better.  Even when I was spending hours at it, I would still recommend irrigation over messing about all day finding toilets and emptying pouches. I once worked it out that the accumulated time it took me when I used a bag was more than the extended time I took to irrigate. Given the freedom and convenience of irrigation, I would say it's a no-brainer for those who are able to do it.   I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO OFFER MY SINCERE RESPECT AND CONDOLENCES TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE UNABLE TO IRRIGATE.  I am not sure how I would cope with having to go back to using a bag.

Best wishes

Bill  

Dancingthrough

Thanks, Bill. I'm definitely going to give it a go. I don't find I'm messing about in washrooms all day. I have been using liners in my bag, and it is easy. Just pull it out, flush, and replace. I now don't have to wear gloves, so I don't get poop under my fingernails lol and very little exposure to smell.