My options.....suck

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Txgirl
Ok,
so I go to the Gyn Oncologist today and she is a great, smart, focused woman with tons of experience.
She is having me get a barium enema Friday morning to see if I have a vaginal-recto-peritoneal fistula.
If THAT is negative, I will have a barium test for the small bowel to check for leaks in my intestine. (She is concerned from all the infection and damage, it might be leaking tiny amounts again)
If THAT is negative then it will mean that I just have a simple intra-abdominal abscess and since it is draining via my vagina (yay) then all I will have to do is get on IV (possibly) or oral antibiotics.

Here is the question, as I understand it, don't they need to clean out the abscessed area instead of just using antibiotics?

Has anyone had the surgery to repair this fistula? She told me it was a big surgery.

Thanks in advance for the answers peeps... cuz I know y'all got the answers!!

Hugs kisses, Hannah
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

The Bag

Hello there... Here's how my deal went. I was blessed with Crohn's, and what had happened was the Crohn's, I guess, was trying to get out by way of my scrotum. It had caused a perianal fistula in the large intestine, what was left because the majority was removed back in 92-93 because I was also blessed with UC. Not sure if this ties into you, but the Crohn's had caused the fistulas (3), therefore removing the remaining colon, and now I'm a lifer ostomate. I had no other choice, except a funeral. I am as proud as a peacock to be still here blinking and breathing.
Life without that pain is so much better. If the docs tell you that an ostomy would be a good choice, do it. It'll be tough in the beginning, but in time you won't regret it...
I've had mine now for a year, March 30th. Can't believe a year has passed, and I'm kicking ass and taking names. My diet is a seafood diet, I see food, I eat...
Ostomates rule!! I hope you get better, and this helps a little. Hang in there and give it hell!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gus

Hello Hannah dear,

I can't answer you on the surgery side but I can give you some idea why they won't clean out the pus and stuff.

Pus develops when the body starts fighting an infection. It's a mix of blood, white blood cells, and the bacteria causing the infection. Generally, it means your body is at war with the bacteria. The antibiotics give the immune system a helping hand by attacking the bacteria as well. Sorta like a double-edged sword. Generally, the body will eliminate the pus, etc., as the infection decreases until all that remains will be some clear residue which the body absorbs.

So at least you have some idea what's happening and why on the infection front.

Luv ya

Steve xoxo
Txgirl
Bag,
Thanks for the info, sir! I already have a colostomy due to a doctor cutting my colon during a routine hysterectomy.
I have had severe pelvic pain and pus coming out of my vagina, chills, fever, and feeling like shit since the surgery in October. I just NOW found a doc that will touch me. lol
I just can't believe how bad yours was. You are doing amazing, and you should be proud of your awesome attitude!

Steve,
Makes complete sense, thanks for the info! I just hope they can get this all figured out.

How are you feeling today, my precious??

xoxoxo, Hannah
KarenMa

I have actually had that! They called it a vaginal-rectal fistula, which was very painful. I went back and forth from my GI doctor and my OBGYN because they both argued which person it actually belonged to. After the long debate, my OBGYN actually did the surgery. I have to say it was pretty painful after. I had a very hard time walking and moving around due to the placement of the fistula. After the surgery, I had basically what was a drain-like tube...but not that thick, that was permanently looped through the vaginal area. Anyway, needless to say, it took two years to take that "string" out. I would say do the surgery. The fistula was always so painful, I couldn't function during the day. Hope this helps!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Txgirl

Thanks Karen!
Mind if I ask what your symptoms were? I don't think I have a fistula, really. But who knows?
LOL

lottagelady

Strange that, my fistula has never caused me any pain, except when infected initially, and some of my 'strings' floated off into the bath 24 hours after insertion. Still struggling to get mine repaired but got a new surgeon so fistulas crossed! Is yours all sorted now? Rachel x
Jax
Hi ladies and blokes... This is such a fabulous site and the fact we can talk about things like this....LOL Anyways, to the subject at hand, I too had anal-vaginal fistulas (2) and one rectal-back of anus fistula. The ones in the vagina were very painful and they put setons in mine. The setons were removed when they removed my anus... I still have what they call sinuses (same thing) and drain from a 6cm round collection where the rectum used to be. This also has a sinus where the anus used to be. As far as I know, there are 2 sinuses...

Spoke to the docs today in regard to pain in the lower back and hip and they are going to do a CT scan and MRI.

I know that these fistulas kill what sort of a sex life and other bits of life you have at times due to pain or smell... I use sanitary pads all day every day and wish I could go one day without them...

Chin up and stay positive, your new docs seem to know what they are doing and how to treat you. Have faith in them and I do hope you come out and heal 100%..

JAx

Hugs from Australia
x
Txgirl
Hi Jax,
Thanks for the info.
It sounds like you had a bad time of it. I am so sorry to hear about all your troubles.

I am sick of all this mess. I just hope I don't get really sick from this abscess. Blahhh

Xoxoxo, Hannah
Chirag
Hi...KarenMa . I am chirag from india with permanent ilestomy since 2016...I am looking for a vegetarian soulmate...pl do reply me...