Constant Leaks: Need Help with Drainable Pouches

Replies
Views
Puppyluv56

Gem,

I started using Coloplast two-piece system at the beginning of the month. The first pouch I replaced after 11 days and the second I still have on. Being my 15th day. No leak in sight. I did use the suggestion someone (was that you Mike) made here about the barrier rings, cutting in half (I cut in thirds), rolling into a rope, and wrapping around the outside of my stoma, then applying the flange. Seems to work really well. I will use a little more next time to make it thicker but otherwise, works well. I am not crazy about the click system on the Coloplast pouch. Cannot burp as easily as the Convatec but love the pouch more!

Gem, this would work well with those Convatec cut-to-fit as well! Probably get you at least a couple extra days from each!

How are they working for you?

Puppy

iMacG5

This might be just a little off topic but I eliminated the typical burping method by using KMEZVENT vents.  It's a little work to prep the pouches with these vents but way easier to burp.

Let's never stop looking to make our stuff better and easier.  I think we deserve it.

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,431 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hey Puppyluv, the Eakin Cohesive Seal 2 is a lot thicker.

Mike

Puppyluv56

Mike,

Is thicker better? The two-piece flange is already thick and sticks out more than a one-piece. I have tried a few different types of them and found no benefit until I tried rolling it into a rope and building it around the stone. The ring did not stick to my skin any better than the pouch barrier. Does your ring actually stick to your skin along the stone?

Candy

iMacG5

Hi Candy. I probably confused thicker with wider. When I flatten the rolled up barrier ring it’s only about the thickness of a double match book cover; like two covers, one on top of the other. It's actually about 5/64 of an inch (0.2 cm). The flattened seal is about a 3/8 inch wide. Close to 1/2 inch(around 1.3 cm). No, I don’t think thicker is better.
I tried the rope method a long time ago with little success. I think it’s failure was due to the “sweating” of the stoma. I know it’s not sweat but it’s always wet and could interfere with adhesion.
More good luck to all of us,
Mike

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Thanks Mike,

I am trying the barrier ring as a whole now! Will see how it works! Got 17 days from the last pouch with using the rope made from the ring. Probably could have gone longer but due to my own stupidity, of releasing gas by unclipping the click pouch at the top, in the night, with no light, on the way to the bathroom, to find out it was not all air! Don't laugh! Shit happens! Literally! Lol Had to change at 3:00 in the am! That will teach me! I was just seeing how long it was possible to get out of one pouch!

Puppyluv

iMacG5

Hey Pup, most ostomates can't even imagine going 17 days between changes.  I'm nominating you for the poster child for THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.  Great to know it's possible.  We read so often about folks changing daily and more.  You are an inspiration!

Thanks so much,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Haha Mike! Thanks for the crown! Not worthy though! My own stupidity ended the run! Haha! You have to laugh at yourself sometimes! I have always gotten good time out of two-piece pouches! The one-piece, not so much! I don't use powders, glues, paste, rings (just now trying them, not sure why), barrier wipes! All I do is use the adhesive remover wipes, dry and put on a flange after cutting to fit of course! Works for me!

Thanks,

Candy

Sjb

I had daily leaks as well until I switched to a two-piece with a belt. I also use a cera ring that helps seal better. I have a huge hernia also. That piece of elastic provides just enough support to keep my device from leaking! I made my own belt with a wide piece of elastic and larger hooks to attach to loops.

Best of luck!

Puppyluv56

Ok, I have to tell on myself because my actions led to an accident waiting to happen, me! I sent this to my friend and just had to copy to tell on myself! Well, I am hoping your Friday has gone better than mine!! I have to just keep in mind, it is Friday!!!!
Drank my water like always. Started about an hour ahead of my appointment! I was hungry and had not had any Honey Nut Cheerios in a long time! BIG mistake! Lol In my defense, I did also eat a banana! I was halfway to treatment and those Cheerios started to come on back! That was fine so I immediately went to a back bathroom in the practice to empty my pouch and hopefully NOT pee! Have to have a full bladder for radiation. Had to pee soooo bad! Did not think I could make it through treatment so emptied my bladder some. Just could not stop at a little bit! As I was on the table getting treatment, more Cheerios came for a visit but since I had peed prior to treatment, I did not go back to finish emptying my bladder afterward thinking I could make it home. Well, all the way home, Cheerios continue to visit to the max and having to pee again so bad! I could hardly make it in the door! Made it to the bathroom, almost! Lol Started peeing before I could get my pants all the way off but finally got there!
As I am taking my wet panties off, I noticed those damn Cheerios were not only inside the pouch but broke out of jail to surprise me! It was a surprise breakout but I had just got comfortable not using the barrier strip! May have to rethink that! Lol
Haha! What a surprise that was since it had not happened in over 8 months!
So the moral of this story is DO NOT EAT Honey Nut Cheerios! EVER!!! Pee when you gotta!
Hope you are laughing at my expense! I would be laughing if it was you! Just who I am!
Have a better day than me! Lol

looking forward

That happens to me as well, but I have also gone as long as 5 days. Use the barrier strips and econ.

Puppyluv56

Looking forward!

I normally go 10 days minimum between pouch changes! That is without strips and barrier rings! Hahaha! This was just a BAD food choice! They would make you go the same prior to an Ostomy!

Just a funny day! Whew, glad it was over! Lol

Puppyluv

spyder

The style of using active lifestyle adhesive covers helped me.

spyder

The active lifestyle covers are the best.

Indigo55

I have an ileostomy and occasional nuisance leaks, and you made me think with your comment about not eating or drinking too much before bed. It never occurred to me that lying down could be a problem.

Indigo55

Do you have an ileostomy? With my output, there's no way the skin around my stoma could tolerate an appliance that long. I try for 3 days tops. In the early days, I used to be more ambitious and more frugal and felt like I'd failed if I hadn't got a week's wear out of one wafer, but I found that even if it doesn't leak, over such a long period it gets so saturated that the skin around my stoma gets converted into raw, chemically-burned, bleeding meat. I also gave up on using "heroic" methods, the tapes and strips and adhesives and other stuff; too time-consuming and costly. There was a time after my first surgery when I had to use all kinds of things because I basically had no stoma ;(it was lovely), but after I got it revised I decided to just go with a plain wafer, and if it lasted only a few days so be it.

Just now I noticed a post from someone about how going to bed with a full stomach can impact how long your appliance lasts; never thought of that. I'm going to experiment and see.