Tips for Concealing Stoma Bump with Spandex Wrap?

Replies
Views
leemccarthyn

I am trying to hide my stoma bump and bag bump. Some days it seems it sticks out more and I don't know what to wear!! Help please!! I've had this since Dec and I am very conscious of this bump!!

xnine

I wear a wrap all the time, a tube top or tummy sleeve from a maternity shop. They work well until output starts. If the top is too tight, it will cause pancaking and ballooning. I like to wear them anyway. It gives me a more secure feeling.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Lee. I don't know if you have an ileostomy or a colostomy, but if you have a colostomy, you could try irrigating. If you get that down pat, all you have to wear is a stoma cap, which is like a big round bandaid. Presto... No more bumps and you can wear anything you want to. You wouldn't have to worry about a bag compressing and pancaking either. If you have a colostomy and can do this, I'd check it out. It's well worth the 2 months or so it takes to train your colon.

Good luck to you.

Dancingthrough

Is it harmful if you stop the output from coming out when you wear something a bit tight around you?

Bill

Hello Dancingthrough. You pose a very good question which really deserves a forum post of its own because then it would get its own spot in the premium contents section. However, I will throw in my own comments just to get the conversation started. First of all, in my expeience, I have never been able to stop output by wearing tight garments. What tends to happen is that the output comes and coagulates onto whatever is pressing on the outside. Sometimes it makes a right mess and often leads to leaks. To emphasise this point, I irrigate and wear stoma plugs during the day. Occasionally, there is some residual output and it gets pushed out along with the plug. The force behind it must be considerable because I USUALLY WEAR A TIGHT HERNIA BELT AND MY OWN DESIGN OF HARD BELT WITH A BUCKLE TO MAKE SURE THE STOMA IS WELL PACKED ( to try to keep the plug in). 

Of course, wearing very tight clothing can cause other problems such as restriction of circulation, reflux and/or breathing difficulties or restricting urine output but my body is sensitive enough to let me know if these sorts of things necessitate my loosening off or narrowing the waistbands. My main problem with them is when I bend over and they constrict my ribcage. This can be painful and restrict my breathing because I have some floating ribs after an accident, so they don't protect my lung space in the same way that normal ribs might.

Having said all that, there is a fundamental difference between wearing something tight on the outside and having a 'blockage' on the inside. The latter needs to be sorted asap because a build-up of faeces or wind can be both painful, toxic and can lead to all sorts of physical complications.

I hope this goes some way to answering your question.

Don't fortget that these comments are not meant to be medical advice. They are simply the personal thoughts and experiences of someone who has been there and done that. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Dancingthrough

Thanks, Bill. You are always informative. I don't purposely block my stoma. I just tuck my pouch inside my clothes. It causes pancaking but does not restrict reflux. I have not, to date, had any leaks or accidents. I use liners in my pouch so I am able to change quite easily. I plan to try irrigation soon. But going on vacation so will wait till I get back. As a newbie, I welcome hearing from anyone.

Bill

Thanks Dancingthrough. I would urge you to try irrigation as soon as possible because the chances are that you won't have any output once you get into the routine. This means you can be free of bags and all the inconveniences that go with them. My irrigation worked from day one and I would highly recommend that you irrigate whilst on vacation as it will make it so much more bearable.

Best wishes

Bill 

Dancingthrough

Thanks again, Bill. I have ordered the stuff I need to start irrigating. I'm a bit nervous but am going to give it a go as soon as I can.

Pirrip

All good stuff, the nitty gritty! Who would have planned to become an expert in viscosity! You got to laugh!

bigal1579

There are lots of great wraps specifically designed for stomas. Check out ostomysecrets.com and try Googling for other sites.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, what does "irrigating" mean? I'm not new, but I'm new to this group. I had a colostomy and now I have an ileostomy, so they are different. But I was very upset and didn't accept it, and everyone - friends, family, everyone - seemed to leave out of my life, besides my father and my daughter. She is in my life more now since I almost died in 2018. I had 3 surgeries in a year, and I'm trying to accept more. Now, because I have it for life, I'm 54 years old. I got sick when I stopped smoking. It seemed very strange, but it's true to me. I was 48 years old when I got so sick, and I had a man who left me. I have to say, I've been through so much, and I'm hoping to meet and talk to new people and make friends and accept this. Happy is his name, my stoma. I can't change it.

NewlifeVictoria

Also, continue from that post. Does anyone talk to a therapist or how does anyone who wants to know all about the T feel? I'm so sad, and now I'm trying to work harder on this because I have to. I have anxiety really bad and never feel good. Please, I need good people and friends. Hope everything is having a good day!! Happy new year!!! Victoria

xnine

New Life Victoria started a new post. You are really off topic. This was about wraps. I am sure you will get better results. Many people here have used a therapist.

NewlifeVictoria

Really, what do you mean? What was it?

M32023

I wear a Stealth Belt. It's great, kind of pricey, but I love it and it keeps the bag closer to the abdomen and helps keep the seal strong as well. 👍🏻 I also use Sensura Mio bags which fold in half to make them smaller. 🤷‍♂️