Quitting Smoking with an Ostomy

Replies
Views
Txgirl
Hey guys,
Just curious how many of you currently smoke or have quit while an ostomate and how you did it?

I quit in October 2009 the day before my hysterectomy/emergency ostomy and at times, I still want a smoke! lol

Have a great day! xoxoxo, Hannah
lottagelady

Sorry, what was that? I was just out having a smoke and I missed it? Eh???

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,320 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
The only time I smoke now is when I'm alone or with someome.
Past Member

Silly girl....Copenhagen doesn't burn...just put a dab between your cheek and gum.........!!!

Past Member

Hi, just like you, I stopped the day I went into the hospital, and I stopped for 6 months... but what a 6 months! All I could think about was a cigarette! And now I'm smoking again... maybe not half as much as before, but if I feel stressed, then I definitely have one. xx

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sueboo46
Hi everyone, Sue here.
I gave up smoking in May 2008 when I first became ill and my stoma fitted. I think after 32 years of smoking, I would never give up because I liked smoking. But when your surgeon tells you that you had cancer in your small bowel hiding behind your Crohn's, it's like a great big weight hits you on the head.
And you think you will do anything to help stop it from coming back. And yes, cigarettes got the big E. Don't get me wrong, it's been nearly 2 years and I still fancy a cigarette from time to time. But I never give in and never will, not now that I've come this far.
So if you do go to give in, you have to do things differently. For example, if you have a cigarette with tea, then try to cut out tea and have something else. Or if you have a cigarette when going to the loo,
then try and change your pattern and do things differently. It's about breaking up patterns.
And if you really fancy a cigarette, have a sweet instead or fruit, whatever it takes.
You can do it. I did, and I never thought I would.
It's what you put your mind to. Take care, Sue xx Oh, and good luck all xx
I forgot to tell you that I used patches from the chemist as well to help me. xxx
Past Member

I've been smoking since I'm 16 years old. I must admit it's a nasty habit to break. I quit for two years back in the 80's using something called Life Signs, a mini computer that weans you off little by little. I kept smoking even after a cancer diagnosis, the only thing that kept me sane after being given a year to live. That was 13 years ago. Guess I fooled them. LOL Just tried Life Signs again and was doing well until the darn thing fell and broke. I am trying to wean myself off them by having one every hour to an hour and a half now, and voila, I have smokes left at the end of the day, and that's great considering running your own business can be very stressful.

Mike

I quit smoking weeks prior to my ostomy surgery. It's one of the best things I've ever done, but at times I still want a cigarette.

Txgirl

Me too!! I always want to smoke lately. I think it's all the stress built up from all these complications I have.

I have had a puff off of my boss'/best friend's cigarette a couple of times at work and it made me miss it but at the same time, made me so thankful I don't smoke.

I have gained about 15 pounds from going from working 9 hours a day on my feet to being home for 3 months healing but I know I have not only eaten out of boredom but also from having stopped smoking.
I guess being a few pounds heavier is better than smoking..???? lol

Gus

I stopped for 5 days recently because my surgery is coming up, but the cravings got way too much. I crashed and burned and bought a pack of smokes yesterday. But I'll keep trying to quit. I'll get it right soon.

Txgirl

You will, Steve.
They say the average person "quits" something like 7 times before it sticks. (I forget the exact number)

How far away is the surgery date??

xoxoxo

Gus

I'm not sure, Hannah.
They did say 6 weeks after the pre-op clinic, which is this Tuesday. So we'll just wait and see.

weewee

How to quit smoking after years of it? Hmm, wasn't too hard when they got the price so high. I said I was done when they costed $5 a pack. Then I looked at it, couldn't walk up stairs, and work was getting harder to do because I was out of breath. Plus, working in the bars for years didn't help out at all. But I managed to quit way before surgery this time and can still go out and toss drinks without smoking. Now, that was the hardest habit for me. Boy, a good smoke and drink was yummy. Now, things in the past have been that way for a long time, about 6 years now. Too bad I can't kick the doctor like I kicked cigs.

vulcanBMk2

I've given up giving up!!-----I have an addictive personality, booze, women, ciggies, cars. But my bank manager and the government love me!!

dee05
Hi
Well, I quit smoking in April of 2001 and shortly thereafter became deadly sick and landed in the hospital where I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I have not touched a cigarette since and do not miss it at all... With all the surgeries I have had and still waiting on one, I couldn't imagine standing outside in -35 weather with an IV pole and those sexy little gowns they give you.. ha ha
By the way, I smoked since I was 15 and I went on the patch to quit.. It worked for me...
Past Member

Tobacco is one of life's simple pleasures....maybe I'll quit when I'm 100......nah....probably not........
sooziq

Hi TXGIRL,
I quit smoking on Dec 12, 2007 and to this day, I still crave a cigarette! I had major dental work and could not smoke for a few days, so I figured I would stop. Plus, at over $5 a pack, no way! I have not smoked yet. It's hard, as I smoked since I was 16! I had an ileostomy in 1977 due to years of ulcerative colitis. I have gained 22 pounds, but I am older now and I call it happy fat! Good for us that we are still smoke-free.Sorry about the smiley faces, I couldn't stop them!
Sooziq

devilishjim

I quit a little over 3 years ago. I got tired of a damn cigarette dictating where I could go. I quit using Chantix. Fighting to get another breath is not the way I want to go!!!
I wish all of you the best of health.

;Jim

Txgirl

Soozi Jim....I'm very proud of y'all!!!

My dad died of emphysema at age 60, 11 years ago. It is a HORRIBLE way to die.
I had a couple of slip-ups the past few days but tomorrow is a clean slate!!

devilishjim

TXgirl, you can do it. Chantix really helped me with the cravings. I had cut myself down to two cigs a day, and man, would they ever burn up fast with my morning coffee! It boiled down to am I quitting or not!!!

I ate a lot of beef jerky to keep myself occupied. Good luck on your quit. Oh, I also joined QSJ Quit Smoking Journals.

Hugs,

Jim

Homie With A Stomie NS

I still smoke havefor over 30 yrs sooooo......Ileostomy almost 4 months......it's my comfort vise good or bad