Potty Training Tips: Finding the Best Position

Replies
Views
Puppyluv56

Haha, Mike.

Sorry to hang you out there like that, but I was interested in just how far people will go! And you know, you cannot start a story such as that and not give the whole story! Lol. I probably would have done the same thing. Maybe got a bag to put my arm in. Now I know why I carry a zip lock baggie in my emergency pouch! What another great use for it other than for a used pouch in a public place!

Puppy

iMacG5

So we left McD’s and headed for our destination. After a few minutes on the road my wife asked, "How are your new sunglasses?” I almost panicked. She can’t know what just happened! I tried to act as “matter of fact” as possible and just said, “They’re OK”.  My wife replied, “Boy, you just can’t beat that Dollar Store”.
‘Nuff said?
Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Bill

I too have dropped my phone down the loo. I wish now that I had flushed it away  it because it never worked after that!

NJ Bain

OMG, I really needed that laugh, even though it was at y'alls expense, and for that, I'm sorry...

You're all braver than I am. I'll bet all of you make sure your items are a bit more secure now before you use a public toilet. I don't bring my phone to the bathroom. Which also cracks me up because most people without ostomies, use the phone in the bathroom when they're dropping some friends off at the pool. I suppose I would be too if I still shxt like that.

I saw something on TV once about how people get sick from germs on everyday items. You'd think bathroom door handles would be bad, or shopping carts or money. Then, they did a swab test on random people's cell phones. You'd be AMAZED of the germs they found on them, most of them with E. coli. So maybe it's a good idea to use some hand sanitizer or something on your cell phone once in a while? Just a thought.

Bain

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

You are right about making sure the phone s safe Bain. After losing two phones this way, I have made myself phone pouches out of old shirts to hang around my neck. Now if I bend over the phone stays put. I've been using these for about two years and never lost another phone.

Bestwishes

Bill

Emad

I sit forward when I empty, the same as before (I'm female). I keep a water bottle next to the toilet and after emptying, I add some water to rinse out. Really helps to empty easier. I keep a water bottle in the car, sometimes I remember it, sometimes not, but no big deal, it just helps. I use gel packets sometimes, especially right after I've changed my bag. Helps keep the stool in the bottom of the bag to help adhesion stick without much wetness around the stoma. I also use one at night. When I'm changing my bag, here are the supplies I gather beforehand: paper towels, toilet paper, bag, moldable seal, barrier wipe, hydrocortisone cream, rounded scissors, a marker to draw cutting area, gel packet, and trash can with bag to put old bag and used items in. I always change my bag after a shower, take bag off, shower, dry, and apply. Really gives my skin a chance to breathe. I rub a tiny amount of hydrocortisone cream lightly in any places that might get a little red or irritated, to avoid getting irritated, wipe with barrier wipe, let dry (about 30 seconds), put seal on barrier opening for stoma and press together firmly, put on bag, place gel packet in, and I'm done.

xnine

I have a colostomy and kneel when changing my bag. No matter what I do or what anyone else does, you cannot be prepared for a volcanic eruption. I cannot feel anything until after it has happened. It is surprising how much power is behind a little gas backup, equivalent to projectile vomiting. Sh*t happens. Relax, take it easy, clean up and start over. No, it does not happen every time but on occasion it does. Just change as quickly as you can. Be prepared.

iMacG5

I think Puppyluv56 wisely reminds us it’s an evolving thing. One day we pooped like we did forever and the next day our guts needed to take a short cut. Most of us knew very little about what was to become our new normal. Then we became “experts”. At least we thought we did. Most of us continue to experiment and nothing is more important to reading what others come up with and how it might apply to our processes. Emad, you did a great job listing all the stuff you prep before the change. You probably have a colostomy to be able to shower without the bag but iliostomates might improvise and do something similar to improve their comfort and their end result. I need to have everything within arms reach, readily accessible without any physical strain and situated so I can do what’s necessary quickly and effectively. There might be a little OCD influencing my process but that’s just me. But then, I think we deserve all the comforts we can get with our situations. I remember being told I might need an ostomy. My reply was something like, “That’s not gonna happen”. So nine years later here I am sharing with all you wise, caring folks instead of watching grass grow from under the roots.
Thanks for all your contributions.
Respectfully,
Mike

iMacG5

Hi Emad. Thanks for sharing your process with us. You “put seal on barrier opening for stoma and press together firmly”. That’s interesting and might be very helpful for others. One might ask how thick and how wide the seal might be and does it end up closer to the stoma than the barrier. How close would that be? I’m betting lots of folks benefitted from your offering.
Respectfully,
Mike

Puppyluv56

I actually thought of putting the barrier onto the flange first instead of the skin and then adding the flange. Only thing, I would have to experiment some with getting the flange cut to fit a little larger and even roll it over the inside of the flange for extra protection. Anyone tried that? Who knows, just changed today so will try in 10 days when I change again!

Pup

iMacG5

So Emad and Pup gave me more to think about. A WOCN at Convatec asked me why I used a barrier ring with my moldable wafer. I said I thought it might provide a better seal. She said it wasn’t necessary.
I guess you’re not using a moldable wafer Pup because you’re cutting the opening. Emad, I’m not sure what kind of wafer you’re using. I know on occasion I’ve made the opening on my appliance too tight and suffered some serious cramping. I’ve always worried about unprotected skin next to the stoma but I might have carried it too far.
I’ll continue to experiment and I thank you guys for your input.
Respectfully,
Mike

Puppyluv56

Mike

I had never used the barrier rings until recently and did just fine without them! Yes, I do use cut-to-fit because my stoma is a little elongated! I never felt I got my flange on right if I saw skin there, but after you irrigate a few times, it is lifted up and I think all that sticks well is the barrier ring. Who knows! Fun to experiment!

Let us know what cool things you come up with!

Candy