What to Say

Replies
Views
xnine

A friend is in hospital with heart attack and pneumonia. Things are not looking good. We have known each other since high school and keeped in touch. Her kids and husband are with her. I feel sad about what is happening to her. I will certainly will miss her when the time comes. I just do not know what to say.

Angelicamarie

xnine.. search your heart, you have already said her friendship means a lot. Tell her now... regrets are terrible...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello xnine. I am sure that everyone who has been through this experience will be empathising with you at this time. I have been through this many times with friends, colleagues and clients. What I have found is, that it is not necessary to force ourselves to say anything which is not genuinely on our minds. It is okay to admit that you don't know what to say, and then keep quiet. Many people cannot cope with awkward silences, but it is sometimes better to say nothing than to seem disingenuous. It can also be  a bit depressing for a patient to be confronted with sad visitors. If you can focus on memories of better times , this can sometimes help. As can sharing photo albums and holiday shots etc, as this can stimulate discussion about the good times you shared. Simple things can sometimes be very effective at helping to focus on something other than the illness. Many years ago, a girlfriend of mine had terminal cancer, and to have something to focus upon, she knitted me a cardigan during the last phases of the illness and we would converse about how it was progressing and how I was looking forward to wearing it. Eventually, her mother presented it to me saying that she had to finish it off, but added that she appreciated how it had helped her daughter to have a purpose in life during her fading weeks.

Sometimes, it is just your presence, patience and persistence which helps most in these difficult circumstances. Sitting at someone's bedside and silently holding their hand in true and genuine friendship is often all that is required to bring comfort and joy to those whom we wish to please.

Best wishes

Bill     

xnine

Thanks Angel and Bill. I remember one time we were on a summers drive picking wild flowers. We left the bunch on the kitchen table and her mom was surprised when she found them.

Past Member

Bring up the flowers....or any other good memory you have of her that you'd like to bring up. Other than that, as Bill said, you don't have to say anything. Just be there for her. She knows there is nothing you can say that will change anything and she knows you love her. It will be enough.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
countyclare

Very sorry for your heartache. Your friend and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

countyclare

Very sorry for your heartache. Your friend and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

xnine

Thank you all.

Puppyluv56

Praying for the best outcome for your friend!

Hugs to you and hope your heartache is lessened with great memories!

Candy

xnine

Her daughter posted:

It is with profound sadness that I tell you all our worst fears have been realized. We spoke to Mom's primary doctor yesterday and he told us the terrible news. There has just been too much damage to her brain due to lack of oxygen for her to recover. We have decided unanimously that she would not want to continue with this quality of life. She will be living her last days or months in palliative care. This way she will be comfortable and well taken care of! '

Bill

Sorry to hear this sad news. I hope she is, as you say - comfortable and well cared for.

Best wishes

Bill

freedancer
Just love your friend and ask her what you can do for her to help her. It is important to just be a good friend right now.
xnine

She is gone.

Past Member

I'm so sorry. You have my condolences.

Debbie

What you say does not matter. Your presence says it all. Be there to listen and offer to help in any way that you can. I have worked in hospice for many years and letting the family know you care is great for them. Being there to hold your friends hand makes all the difference in the world.

Newbie Dana

I am so sorry for your friend, and for your loss. Please know that her family will still need you to stand by them and comfort them as they try to rebuild a life without her in it. Take care and God bless you all.

Mrs.A

I'm sorry for your loss. Remember your friend with love and share those memories that made you smile and laugh when you believe the time is right.