Seeking Advice for Expanding Food Options with Dietary Restrictions

Replies
Views
Donavon
Hi Gemd,

Just to be realistic, I've had my ileostomy for 20 months and I cannot eat normally. My diet was like yours - pre-cancer SAD diet, beef, non-organic food, and fast food. I started eating healthy a few years before diagnosis, juicing green drinks, and eating better. On 01/15/2015, I was diagnosed with stage 3C colon cancer. I went hardcore fruitarian for 4 months, then full vegan for 2.5 years. Then, I had the ileostomy on 05/10/2017 and have had about 50 blockages, mainly due to my stubbornness, eating too much, and pushing the limits. It takes me about 12 hours to block up, so at times I'd think I'm okay, only to suffer a day later. I had surgery using the DaVinci robot, so I had a quick recovery and hardly any scarring. But I must have scar tissue or a complex curve in my intestines that food dams up by. My surgeon has been waiting for my anastomotic defect to heal from all the radiation damage, but it's not looking good. I asked about going from ileo to colostomy since people with colostomies don't seem to suffer from blockages. I am getting better, but I would love to eat a giant salad with arugula and all the works! Take care, don't fret, we'll be okay!
looking forward

How did you do that??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Donavon

How did I do what? Change my diet??

Mrs.A

This is not realistic, we have blockages.

Donavon

You're the only one in the USA. Be happy.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
SheilaI

I have ileostomy. I eat nuts and salads. My diet never changes. I just don't eat popcorn. I haven't since I was 14 when I had my first cancer surgery.