Body Confidence and Naturism with an Ostomy Bag

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Cheekymonkey111

Hi all, first post so please be kind.

Prior to surgery in Sept 18, I was previously a bit of a closet naturist. Since surgery, which has knocked my body confidence, although still wanting to explore this lifestyle, my concern is how others would judge me with my bag obviously on show when at the beach or at a resort, etc. Has anyone had any experiences in this environment, good or bad?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I'd say if you have the confidence to be a "naturist" in the first place, you won't have any trouble wearing a bag on the beach. I saw a posting with a picture by a woman from CA in a bikini on the beach wearing an ostomy bag. It didn't bother her one bit... Others will judge you the same as they judge the rest of us who have to wear a bag. Some, I suppose, it will bother...others it won't. At least you'll know right away which ones it bothers and which ones it doesn't. You won't have to worry about WHEN to tell someone. lol; Go for it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Hi Monkey,

Love your monkey pic! I too have seen several, usually young women that wear a bikini with their pouch exposed! I am far from someone that would do that. Wearing a bikini without a pouch has not even been in my wardrobe for a few years! Lol I imagine it would look like a man purse or something at first glance! Not a bad thing either if you are insecure at first! Buy a pouch cover! Built-in man purse! I say do what makes you comfortable! If being a naturalist is what you do, why change! I am sure you have seen uglier things than a pouch and did not judge!

Puppyluv

Lol

Past Member

One life, live it!!! Get out there and live it. You will be surprised, no one will be the slightest bit bothered or make any nasty comments. Naturism isn't for me, but as I've read stories and seen bits and pieces about it on TV, there are the most non-judging people around and never judge anyone on their appearance.

Cheekymonkey111

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Defo giving me food for thought. Since my op, I have had a more "you only live once" attitude and feel like if I want to do something, I should just do it.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

I'm with all the supportive comments. My brother used to run a dress optional resort in NZ and nobody worried about what other people were wearing or not. A pouch would not have made any difference to their non-judgemental attitudes. 

Best wishes

Bill

Lt. Dan

Hi, order a stealth belt. They are very nice, it hides the ostomy and secures it in a way you will feel more confident. Hope this helps.

Dan

Cheekymonkey111

Thanks, Dan. I have been looking at them for work. I never thought about using one at the beach. Good call. Thanks for the advice.

Lt. Dan

Your welcome, I ordered one just before Christmas. They are really helpful. I called them to ask a few questions. I received it about a week later. Wow. I can't wait to try it out in the summer. I might even feel normal again on the beach, lol.

Cheekymonkey111

That is my hope to feel as normal as possible by the summer. The naturist community is usually really good with this sort of thing but still makes me a little nervous.

Lt. Dan

Yes, you are so right Vanessa. Women can wear lingerie and look fantastic during intimate times. Men don't really have anything, so the Stealth belt really is a great garment to wear for those reasons also.

Cheekymonkey111

Hi all

Quick update, not that I imagine anyone interested, lol. Attended first naturist swim post-op over the weekend. Although nervous as to how my pouch would be received, as expected, the naturist community were very friendly, if a little curious about it.

After 10 minutes of being there and answering a few questions, I forgot I even had my pouch and enjoyed my swim.

Glad it has gone well and has increased my confidence further.

Past Member

Great to hear, Cheeky! Glad you enjoyed your swim and didn't let the pouch bother you. Not surprising that a few people were curious. I would have been too...before I got one myself. LOL

Cheekymonkey111

I think it's been a common theme since I had it. No real negative comment, just people interested in how it works and generally asking things that I had no clue about myself until I had it, which is understandable.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully more positive experiences in the future.

Puppyluv56

That is awesome news, Monkey! Glad it all went so well! You should always feel comfortable in your choices, and other people sometimes make it or break it!

Puppy!

Cheekymonkey111

Thanks pup. What I have learnt from this whole experience is that if you think too much about what others may think of you, then you will never do anything. I am not the most outgoing and self-confident guy, but now after my recent scare, I think that life is too short not to do things you enjoy and try new things.

I'm currently looking forward to the future. Now I'm feeling healthy again, and that is something I couldn't say 6 months ago in a hospital bed.

Puppyluv56

Hey monkey!

You have something no one else has in the natural group, so I would guess you would be popular. So, not only should you not care but embrace it! Next time, draw a happy face on your pouch! LOL

Cheekymonkey111

Hi puppy.

You will be glad to know I will be rocking a Batman pouch cover next time I go, lol.

The pouch is certainly a conversation starter, with most just wondering what it was and if I was now okay. I met some good people and at the end of the swim, we had a big group photo which I would love to share but won't for obvious reasons.

Needless to say, my pouch has become my calling card, lol.

Past Member

Batman pouch? Well, there you go! Now you're getting into the spirit! Great idea!

Cheekymonkey111

Saw it, couldn't resist it. LOL

Past Member

You could change them according to your mood too...Superman? Godzilla? Pumpkins? Easter Bunny? St. Nick for Christmas? LOL

Cheekymonkey111

Mood pouch, I like it. LOL

Puppyluv56

I like it too! I think I will draw a face on mine for my last day of radiation! Maybe a face with a tongue sticking out!

Pup!

Past Member

Pup.. That one seems very appropriate!

Past Member

Interesting! I do nude fitness, but not in public. I don't have a bag to expose anymore but it's good to read about others in the same category of naturalism.

Sportster9

Looks like an old post, but I'll weigh in anyway. I also missed being just me on the beach, in the water and in the sun.
I've gotten very regular with irrigation. Enough so that I usually feel confident enough to just wear a large Nexcare bandage over my stoma. That opened up many possibilities for me. I still wear a thin closed pouch most of the time.

It's one of my ostomy bag of tricks.

I hope it helps.

CB1956

Always have a hair dryer with you to help with drying your bag. It's also a good way to help with resealing it around the edges if they start coming loose.
I have been considering going to one myself but there's not any close by so I'm a home naturist.