Rectal Discharge a Year After Ileostomy: Seeking Advice on Differentiating Normal Discharge from Infection

Replies
Views
freedancer

It has been almost a year after my second surgery and I have started to pass odd mucus material through my anus. This is like thick putty, slightly pinkish. It makes me feel like I need to move my bowels but my large intestine was removed because it died in less than 24 hours. I have never had this before. It has a very bad odor but it is not hard material, rather more soft. Since this started yesterday, I have felt somewhat odd. I have had some nausea, felt weak and this material irritates the area around my bottom. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do and how do you tell the difference between normal discharge and a possible infection?

SheilaI

I had a J-pouch and this last year I asked the doctor to put my 3rd illy back on me so I could at least enjoy the rest of my life. I was told they couldn't get all the pouch out of me because I had so much scar tissue. The doctor told me I will always have a discharge from my butthole. I don't like it but at least I can eat again.

Sheila

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

They leave lots of things just floating in the space they remove body parts from, and they tend to want to come out eventually! Fat cells, odd clips of intestines, etc.

I would certainly ask my doctor though.

Puppyluv

dls

Freedance, you're going through so much, mentally and physically, get help. Call your doc ASAP and find out what's going on. It may be just nature's way of clean up, then it may not. The odor is the most telling. Fresh tissue doesn't stink, but dead tissue does, get to your doc, have him run tests and find out. This is just one more thing to upset you and interfere with your recovery. Or not. Find out. DLS

freedancer

I did contact my osteo nurse yesterday. He said that it is a normal process. He said not to worry unless I have a fever and feel pretty ill. He said that the part of the rectum that was left still thinks it is hooked up and produces mucus. He said if it becomes red streaked or pus-filled, then see the gastro doc right away. I see my doc in March so I plan to discuss it with her then or sooner if it continues. So far, it still falls in with what I've read up on and what the nurse described. Thank you! I will update when I know more.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Hermit

Had the same after ileostomy!

Little Red

Freedancer, I have had the same problem. I had heard that this is a normal thing. I have a colostomy and a few months ago, I had a discharge from my anus. At first, it was just flesh-colored, then it turned red as bloody. I went to the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital. After 11 days, a rectal exam and a colonoscopy, my GI doc said he could not see well enough where the bleeding was coming from and did find some old blood. He found a couple of polyps and removed them for biopsy. I did then have some bleeding into my pouch. Within 2 days, all bleeding had stopped and I was sent home. A month later, I had another discharge, this time a little dark, and that was the last time. My GI doctor said it is something I would have to live with or if it caused any problems, I may have to have a reversal. So I guess I am not going to fret and worry, and time will tell. I was at that time on a blood thinner, Warfarin, and my GI doctor said that may have caused an irritation that caused me to bleed. So I say, when in doubt or worry, see your GI doctor.

Dandy Dan

It's been a year now since my colostomy, and I have a lot of anal discharge. I can barely go anywhere without a watery discharge happening. I have to always sit to pee now because I always have a mucus white balls looking discharge or blood. I feel fine, but it's just a nuisance.

Hermit

Had the same! Couldn't go in public! Eventually went away!

Past Member

I have had this for 5 months now, two years after

colostomy. Very common. It's called diversion proctitis.

Just like one of you said, it's caused from lack of use in rectum.

Reversal gets rid of it. Or with time, it will go away.

That's what the colorectal surgeon said.

guygrouper

Well, that`s just hunky-dory, dadgum it all. Thanks, my fellow survivors, for the chutzpah to share your indignities (which sure are mine, too).