Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,317 members

Metastasis

Posted by MagicFlute14, on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:09 pm

My best friend is receiving immunotherapy. The first time they found liver cancer metastasis from unknown primary in 2007, which 2 years later turned out to be breast cancer. She had surgery on the liver and on her breast, and got chemo for breast as well as radio. Then liver cancer came back and bone cancer and brain cancer. With immunotherapy they got rid of liver, breast and brain cancer, using also radiotherapy for brain. That was over 2 years ago. Bone cancer has not advanced. She has now again brain cancer but they are treating her with a new chemotherapy. She is a fighter, just turned 68, and has a great insurance in Germany where she lives. She is the oldest person her doctors are treating with those types of cancer. So please look for a second or third opinion and find out what they can do for you. Sending you positive vibes from here. 

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:25 am

Hi MagicFlute,

After reading about what your friend is going through.....Well...all I can say is Wow.  Other than that, words escape me.   At this point I just can't even imagine what she's going through.  To say she is a fighter has to be the understatement of the century!  I honestly don't know if I have "the right stuff" like your friend does, but I know that having that attitude is what it's going to take.

Thank you for your positive vibes...Please give them to your friend from me as well.  She is a true warrior and I'll do my best to emulate her. Thank you for the kick in the butt. It's what I need!

Reply by soulscope, on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:20 am

I forgot to mention to keep away from things that make your blood go acidic, I know coffee is one and I think beef is one, just google "causes of acidic blood". Acidic blood is Loved by Cancer - Extremely Important to avoid having Acidic Blood.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:33 am

I don't think I can do without my coffee, Soulscope....but I'll think on it. lol  There's no doubt a lot of things I could do to eat healthier and I plan to try to do so.    I also plan to talk to my doctor about raising my ph level.  See what she says.  Thanks for your feedback.  It's going to be a long journey...and a hard one.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:22 pm

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone on this site for your encouragement and support.  You have given me the courage and determination to fight this thing to the end, the strength to do so and the optimism to believe that the outcome will be GOOD.  Thank you all!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:45 pm

That’s my girl! Lol you know it! We will not accept anything but GOOD! Lol

dls
Reply by dls, on Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Weirdnewlife, THANK YOU for speaking to the elephant in the living room.  Many of use who acquired our 'little buttons' due to cancer have a great fear of recurrent cancers.  Another big THANKS for those of you who not only answered, but had experienced, treated and survived the same thing.  Brilliant.  Linda, if they can beat it, so can you. You must, all those men you need to date!

I live in fear, too, although it doesn't stop from doing things I shouldn't (never mind). I am interested in your follow up care after surgery.  2 years after your surgery was your first CT scan? I would like everyone to tell me what their follow up was like, esp. those who had cancer.

ME: diagnosis May 30th 2017. Fire! From June 1st I had tests, tests, tests..several CT's, imaging of all sorts and enough bloodwork that I wondered how I got home.  Tooth pulled due to possible infection. Mid-July, kitted out with a 24/7 chemo pump and daily visits for radiation. Concurrent.

After Chemo and Rad a ten week 'waiting period' while the poisin continued to do its thing.  BY far, this was the most painful of my entire experience.  Still with tumor, the pain was terrible, not unusual to pass out from the pain.

Nov. 9, 2017, surgery to remove my tumor, hernia (it was repaired without mesh), anus, rectum, a bit of colon and large intestines.  10 days in subacute rehab.  Home on Thanksgiving.  Rested up and by Christmas felt great.

Jan.,1018 Post op pathology showed a few live cells where they shouldn't be, so six more months of Chemo was prescibed. We all know how sick this makes us.  After three months and a thousand more tests Chemo was discontinued.  Yeah!

The FIVE YEAR PLAN.  I think everyone knows that if you're clear after 5 years you'll be fine. Well no, but that's another post. Following 'my release', I was givien a three month follow up, then another three months, then another--each time taking a CBC, tumor markers and several other blood tests. During this time I also had ordered followups: with a urologist (no bladder cancer), my OB/GYN ( still working on a few issues), Oncology Dentist, to fill in  my Chemocavities and start my implants (lost three teeth to all this).

At my last appt I was tested again, then handed a bottle of that lovely liquid you drink before youre CT scan, and told I could now go SIX MONTHS.  So my first post op CT scan will be about 18 months after my surgery, but only 1 year since ending Chemo.

They've really kept after me and I'm not complaining.  Linda, what has your follow up been? I've bored you with mine, and I would like to know about everyone.  I'm big on preventitive medicine,  but that doesn't mean it works. I do know that leaving things too long, or not addressing them can have a grim result.

Finally (at last), I enjoyed reading all the DIY prevents: many do work.  A woman in my ostomy group had a situation much as mine, but used holistic preps and diet before surgery.  Her tumor shrunk much more than mine, and she wound up with much less removed.  I'll be talking to her to see what's she's doing to stay healthy.

So Linda, listen to everyone, and start asking your doctors many many questions--you need to know everything you can about your past condition and what's happening now. Doc won't answer if you don't ask--many patients just don't care.  All docs will talk, and talk to those informed and interested.  A well schooled patient is a compliant patient and compliant patients have a much higher success rate than those who just 'go along'.  If you think you're not getting enough attention, or your medicos are shoddy, go elsewhere.  As already mentioned, always get a second opinion.

Enough already, keep us posted and you'll be in my rosary tonight and for many nights hence.  Stay well and fight hard.

dls

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Absollutely, Puppy!  Nothing but GOOD.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Thank YOU, dls.  "I must beat it because of all those men I need to date"?  LOL  Thanks for my big chuckle for the day.  I needed that!  I think I'm gonna hang onto that one while I go through this.     That's just too funny, dls!  It'll keep me laughing for the rest of the day.  Thanks.

After my cancer was diagonosed, I went through 6 weeks of radiation and pill form chemo at the same time.  After the radiation burns had mostly healed up, I went in for surgery.  After my surgery had healed up,  I had chemo again for about 3 months.  Then I had another scan about a month after that and everyything looked good.  Then, about a year later, just recently,  I had my first annual CT scan.  That's when they found all the nodules.  During all the time previous,  I had a CEA blood test every three months, which is only a semi-reliable test for tumor growth.  It always went up and down like a yoyo.   But that's about it for my follow-up.  Compared to what you went through, what I went through seems like nothing. I didn't have all the complications you had.  Thank God!  You have my admiration for having the strength to go through that.

I do talk to my doctor..and ask a LOT of questions.  Probably a lot more than she'd like...but she answers them to my satisfaction.  I haven't ruled out second opinions either and if I feel I need one, I will most certainly get one.

Thank you for putting me in your rosary.  If I were Catholic, I'd do the same for you.  But since I'm not...my thoughts and absolute best wishes will have to do.     You stay well and fight hard too.  We both will...and we will win! 

Reply by Bagface, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:10 am

Weirdnewlife-I've thought of you a lot. Have you started treatment yet?

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:55 am

Hi Bagface,  You've thought of me a lot?  Why, thank you!  Yes, I've started treatment.  Had my second IV infusion treatment a few days ago.  So far, so good.  Have my fingers crossed.  Thanks for thinkng of me.

Reply by looking forward, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:48 pm

hi wife i am trying to get messages through to you

Reply by looking forward, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:48 pm

how are you doing with your treatments

Reply by Nobagjerz, on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:23 pm
I’ve returned from the past two help with our future sorry to hear that things jumped know you don’t have to worry about when it comes back now you’re time for fighting is come im still in multi disaplanary kemo and emun drugs . I had two cancers one was a jumpier second round helps. You secret admirer kemo63
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks for the good thoughts Kemo.  I appreciate them.  Sorry to hear that you're dealing with the same thing.  I guess it's time for us both to fight, huh?   I wish you the best of luck too.   Stay strong.  I'm trying to.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.