What to Expect After Ileostomy Reversal Surgery?

Replies
Views
Bagface

Having ileostomy reversal on Feb 5th. I have no colon. Dr.

Said to expect 3-6 BMs per day. I don't know what to expect after surgery: fatigue, weight loss/gain, accidents? Anybody?

NJ Bain

Bagface,

I opted out of having my ileostomy reversed because I was told that due to the lack of a colon, my BMs would be acidic with possible rashes to my bum and as you said, multiple BMs a day. Kind of like constantly having the runs.

You can do a search in the field provided up above with the keywords "ileostomy reversal" and you will see all the positive and negative forum posts on the subject. Hope this helps.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,427 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bagface

Bain, thanks for your input. Hope you're doing well!

Past Member

I just wanted to wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. Wish I could help more, but all I can offer is my support. You'll be okay!

Linda

Onedayatatime

Hi. I had my reversal 10 months ago. My experience is it's been very rough. Everyone is different, so you might sail through it with minimal issues. I still have 10 to 20 BMs a day. Intense anus pain. One bout with anal fissures, which makes it feel like you're passing shards of glass. Things I wish I'd known before I came home from the reversal: have a handheld bidet to clean yourself with after BM. You still have to dab the area a bit. Vaseline on the area beforehand and after. Soaking in hot baths. No soap, just warm water, Epsom salts, and coconut oil. The frequency of BMs does a number on that area.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bagface

One day at a time - Did you have your colon removed?

lovely

Hi Bagface, I saw your post about your reversal on the 5th. I hope you are doing okay and have a speedy recovery. Please let us know when you can.