Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,228 members

I regret having my ostomy reversed.

Posted by Sickofthis, on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 pm

I had a reversal in August last year. The first five weeks were terrible,  thankfully things have settled down. Some days I still go a bit not as much as I was. Thankfully I can leave the house. My surgeon told me it will be be 5 years before I'm back to normal. 

What is your diet like. I wasn't allowed to eat anything high in fiber for six weeks, then I had to introduce them slowly. I have unsweeten probiotic yogurt with kefir, foods and drinks low in sugar. Sometimes I sprinkle psyllium husks on my food it helps thicken your bowel movements. Avoid raw vegetables and died fruit. 

It's hard we all cope differently, there is no way I want that bag back.

Reply by Little Red, on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:40 pm

I will not have mine reversed,  and put myself thru that again.  I am 79, and will keep  my bag.  but I do see my surgeon this Tuesday as I have developed a Parastoma hernia,  no problems as of yet  but swelling.  It was a long recovery for me  Intensive care, rehab etc.  And after 2 years I am  Not  again No thank you.

Reply by Sickofthis, on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:10 pm

I don't blame you at 79 I wouldn't have a reversal either. Little Red hope everything works out for you.

Reply by Judy47, on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:48 am

Yes, been there with the hair loss twice......no more surgeries for me even if I could have a reversal......I've had a colostomy, attenpted reversal then an ileostomy and an another surgery for the reversal.  Last year had Necrotizing Fasciitis from a leaky bowel and after 3 surgeries for my NF and another ileostomy......I am done!

Reply by Little Red, on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:56 pm

I did see my Dr last week,  he said I could have a reversal,  I also have 2 hernias One  on my stoma   ( colostomy ) and the other umbilical,  he said he could do the reversal and the hernias at the same time,   but I am looking at major surgery.  But it is my choice,    I have made up my mind to say no thank you.  Unless there is an emergency and  then I would have to have surgery and something done.  I will keep what I have  UNTILL ????

Reply by Sickofthis, on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:33 pm

You have made the right choice for you. A reversal operation is quite simple, the two hernias not so simple. You need a lot of rest after any surgery. Not so easy after a reversal as you are always going to the toilet. 

Reply by Little Red, on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:24 am

Sickofthis,  My reversal surgery would not be a simple surgery,  For the reason I had major surgery to begin with  because of a rupture,  He would have to go back in where the original surgy was done   from my pelvic area to my waist.    I was in the hospital for weeks after,  on a vent in intensive care     I will not put myself thru that drastic  surgery again unless it is an emergency.  I was lucky I made it thru the original one   they gave me a 30 % of  coming thru it    No Thanks  I am to old to put myself thru that again.

Reply by Sickofthis, on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:28 pm

All surgeries are different. I don't understand why your doctor would put you through that again. Luckily my reversal was a simple one, according to the surgeon it was. You have made the right decision. I'm only 51 for me it was something I wanted, I hated the bag. Hopefully my cancer never comes back.

Reply by Bagface, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:43 pm

I had my reversal almost 4 weeks ago and it hasn't been fun. For the first couple of weeks I was going 10-12 times per day. Doc put me Loperimide which knocked it down to 5 times per day, but the med made me so tired I could barely keep my eyes open, so he said to take only 1 at night as opposed to taking it 3 times per day. Still go around 5 times, so I'm encouraged by the fact that a lesser amount yields the same result. I can do light activity but get tired easily. Sometimes I feel okay and other times I feel like pure crap. Doc expects that my new normal will be 4-6 bms per day and that it'll take 3-6 months for things to settle in. I eat in small amounts and have lost weight-YAY! I read a lot of posts saying that this surgery was easier and that recovery time was faster. Well-my ass! I do. see small improvements so that's good enough for me. I can live with the more frequent bms and I'll have to figure out a system as time goes on. I don't regret doing this as I hated the bag and emptying out that piece of shit 8-9 times per day.

Reply by Sickofthis, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Bagface, I was having 30 to 40 bms a day for the first 5 weeks after my surgery.  Things are a lot better now, still go a bit some days and other days I hardly go.  I work 3 days a week if I'm not having a good day I take a gastro stop before I start work then I'm fine till I finish.

As I had chemo and radiation, my surgeon told me it will take me 5 years to get back to normal. It has been 6 months since my reversal and things are a lot better. Hang in there things will improve, try not to rely on medication all the time. If I don't have to leave the house I don't take any medication unless I'm having a really bad day. 

Things will settle down after a while it is only early stages. How is your diet. Like you I don't want that bag back, I hated changing it everyday and having to empty it several times a day. It burst several times on me and what a mess to clean up. Good luck with everything. 

Reply by Little Red, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:55 pm

If I was younger I might consider a reversal,  But mine was also an emergency surgery   and I am lucky to be here.  I can live with my pouch,    yes I have had a couple of accidents/leaks  at first but now it seems after 2 years to have settled down  and I have learned alot.  My Dr said it is up to me.   he would have to go back in the same as my first and then pull my remaining bowel down and reattach,  maybe it would not become infected etc  or the stitching would hold.  etc.  he said the incesion would not be as large as the first,  but he can't go in to the ostomy site itself as it can't be done that way  and then,  I have developed a hernia  one  in the ostomy and one umbilical,  plus I have already had 2 repaired when I had my Gallbladder out  last year.  so  that is my story and I will keep my  colostomy unless there is an emergency and it has to be reversed.

Reply by Bagface, on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Sickofthis-What you must have gone through those 1st 5 weeks! Glad to hear that things have greatly improved. I have no dietary restrictions, but I'm only able to eat small amounts at a time. I totally agree with you as far as meds go! I want you to know how much I appreciate your words of encouragement.

Reply by honestabe, on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:56 am

Chemo, radiation, tumor surgery, ileostomy, reversal failed, ileostomy, permanent colostomy! 5 years ago! Bag saved my life! 👅👏👏👏

Reply by Michael3150, on Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Had a chance to get one but turned it down and I am very happy with my bag.

Reply by rednut68, on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 pm

I've had a bag 7 years and I'm now going through the reversal process but really regretting it.With the bag I could tolerate most foods/drinks but now I have no idea whats causing constant watery output.I've put off the final surgery as things still haven't settled down and cant seem to find any answers

I know theres no guarantees with this surgery but does the consistency of the output improve after the J-pouch is connected?

I'm thinking the problem comes from the fact my stomas attached further up so food will not be processed as much as before no matter what I'm eating or drinking

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.