Bowel Movements and Ostomy: Irregularity, Discomfort, and Solutions?

Replies
Views
Carl

I've had my ostomy since October, with surgery for a prolapse in November and a stoma revision 2 weeks ago. I found that rather than the usual morning bowel movement I used to have, I will go three or four days without a bowel movement. While this can cause some discomfort, it can also surprise me with an extremely full pouch, often in the middle of the night. It also seems that after a couple of days without a bowel movement, I develop gas pains that will keep me awake at night.

Is this normal? I do not like relying on milk of magnesia to get things flowing, so I have tried prune juice, which seems to help sometimes. I don't really have any dietary restrictions, but maybe the answer lies there. Also, has anyone had experience with probiotics to keep things regular.

NJ Bain

Carl,

I'm assuming you have a colostomy. If that is the case, you might try irrigating. I hear it helps and prevents the "full pouch" problem. If you have an ileostomy, irrigating cannot be done.

Just type in "irrigating" in the search field at the top of the screen. Hope this helps.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Carl

Bain,

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look into that.

Carl

Hermit

I take probiotics and don't eat anything gassy after 3 pm! I drink lots of lemon water!

mild_mannered_super_hero

If you qualify for irrigation (and you should), that is the easiest way to keep things normal. You will determine when you go to the bathroom, there will be no leaks or surprises at night. I was reluctant to try it at first, but now I can't imagine life without this valuable tool. I suggest you go to YouTube and search colostomy irrigation. Good luck.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Hermit

Walk

Past Member

You said you just had a stoma revision 2 weeks ago. Any kind of surgery can mess up your system. Things may resolve themselves when your body completely recuperates from the surgery.

If it doesn't, I agree with everybody on the irrigation thing if you have a colostomy. It can definitely help with constipation. Other than that, I'd eat lots of fruits and veggies...drink more prune juice...lots of water... exercise...anything to get things moving again...just like you would if you had the same problem with no ostomy. Good luck to you.

Puppyluv56

Carl,

As others have stated, irrigation with a colostomy may end your discomfort by releasing all that pressure and poo that stores up!

It has brought some normalcy to my life. You may not have to irrigate every day but every other if your system allows!

So worth a try! Talk to your ostomy care nurse. They will teach you or as I did, watch the YouTube videos. Watch them several times first!

Puppyluv

Carl

Puppyluv,

Thanks for your advice, I will keep it in mind. My daughter suggested I try eating bananas, easy to do, I like them anyway. I've had one every morning with breakfast and so far, so good.

Thanks again,

Carl

sassie

Been almost a year since my ostomy and I never poo. I got to hate Milk of Mag so I tried irrigating a few months ago. At first, it was a failure but I kept on trying. About the seventh time, it worked and I've been doing that every 3 days since. It makes life so much easier. Also, I looked at all on YouTube before I ordered my kit... no regrets. I feel in control of something, lol.

Sassie

Puppyluv56

Sassie!

Congratulations! That is everyone's dream to only have to irrigate every three days. I do it every other day but should do it daily because I still have output in between! Changing diet helps! It still has given me a freedom I did not have with a pouch alone!

Puppyluv

Puppyluv56

Carl, I love bananas but find they give me gas and blow my pouch up! I may have to try with Gas-X or something!

Pup