Waterproofing an Ostomy for Swimming?

Replies
Views
Newleaf

I had an ostomy eight months ago and I'm ready to get back in the pool. Any suggestions from swimmers about how to keep the appliance waterproof? I am wondering if I will need to change it more often because of being in chlorinated water. Thanks in advance for the advice!

NJ Bain

Newleaf,

It all depends on how your pouch or wafer reacts to the water. There are several posts in the forums on this subject. Just do a search in the "Google Custom Search" field above. Below is a link to one of the posts. They do make things to help waterproof your appliance for swimming.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7467

To me, it's no different than taking a shower. Most pouches are designed to resist water. Hot tubs, on the other hand, tend to break down my wafer and I use a one-piece drainable. And sometimes a product of the wafer melts and ends up in my chest hair. But everyone is different.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Just to add to NJ Bain's reply, my best advice is to just not spend too much time where your appliance is underwater at first until you get familiar with how your body and appliance adapt. I would suggest making sure your appliance is fresh (not one that you need to change that same day, to ensure your seal is strong). Also, once getting out of the water, it's good to try and dry your wafer area as well as you can so you're not sitting there with it wet - which could cause your seal to weaken.

Good luck!

Newleaf

Thanks so much for the information. I have a two-piece and find that the wafters are so expensive. I guess all of it is pretty expensive.

Puppyluv56

Newleaf,

I have a pool in my backyard and stay in it all day, almost every day in the summer. I float on a raft most of the time on my stomach and back, and the only thing I do is put the little tape over the filter to block anyone coming from either direction! You may feel with gas, which may be embarrassing if you are in a public pool. Ladies have it a little easier with bathing suits that cover more!

I use Brava strips as an added protection, just don't put a new flange or strip on right before getting in the pool. Give them a while!

Enjoy the pool!

PUPPYLUV

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Shitbag

Stay out of the deep end.

lyn

I never get into the pool since I have an ostomy. For me, I think it is disgusting. Peace!!

Br37

I have a question concerning swimming with an ostomy. Some water has a higher bacteria count than others. Is it dangerous for a person with a stoma to go in unknown water with the risk of bacteria entering the stoma and making us ill?

Stillkicking

I spent a lot of time in the swimming pool in Mexico. I had no trouble with my barrier coming off or water in my pouch. I do wear a hernia belt around the pouch, which helps hold it firmly in place. I usually change my barrier once a week. While swimming frequently, I was able to keep the same schedule. I also use a wax adapt ring around the stoma, which is very good at preventing leaks under the barrier. If you wear a belt, there shouldn't be a problem. The system seems to stand up to being wet quite well. Hope this helps and enjoy your swimming!