Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,954 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,954 OstoMates.

Addicted???

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 am

I am in the mid of my life where i want to give up because of my husband situation. He is 45 years old and were married for 23 years now, we have 2 children a college young man and our little princess. He started using marijuana for almost 3 years now and his doctor told him to use this alternative medicine because he has a chronic pain. But as time goes by I am bothered because he acted differently, my little princess is so afraid of him. And I came across this article https://www.greenmed.io/blog/13-marijuana-myths-debunked/ that maybe he uses a strong MJ that's why he acted like that now. I don't know if it still useful for him to use marijuana as a medicine. We don't talk to him because of his situation. Can somebody help me?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:53 am

Maybe you could talk to his doctor explaining the situation to him and see if he couldn't change his suggestion to your husband for a different medication

Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 am

Marijuana is not physically addicting.  It can, on rare occasions, become psychologically addicting..but so can potato chips..or anything else for that matter.   From what I understand about medical marijuana, it's not the THC in pot that helps with chronic pain.  That can be taken out and you can get the same relief.  CBD oil has everything in it but the THC.  You can't get high on it.

I do know that getting high can change how people relate to others...maybe this is what's going on with your husband.  Usually this dosen't cause a problem, but in your case apparently it has.  I would talk to his doctor about getting CBD capsules without the THC.  See what the doctor says about that.  Hopefully, that will help his pain as much as smoking the stuff will and he will be back to his normal self.  Hope this helps.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 am

I agree with weirdnewlife.  Marijuana used medically can help with a very wide range of conditions, including Crohns for example. The production of medical uses of marijuana today is quite different than in the past as the strains are grown in specific ways to help with specific conditions, e.g., sleep, pain, concentration, anxeity, depression, increasing energy, etc.  That being said there are also strains that are for basicially getting really high so perhaps that is something to consider with him.  Hope this helps.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:33 pm

I live in Colorado, its leagal and I dont smoke it but I have seen it work, it helps a lot of people better than other prescribed drugs, I think he will be fine, but I an not a doctor.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 pm

In England,CDB oil,is legal,you can just buy it at Health Shops,you don't need to see your doctor for a prescription. Just go in a health Shop and buy in over the counter!

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:48 pm

I am wondering if by chance he is taking something else e.g. pain pills be it gotten by prescription or not .... the mood changes and making your daughter scared makes me wonder if something else is being taken...addicts are very good at hiding this and will not fess up to this...allot do not think they have a problem.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Here's my experience. I dealt with UC for 10 years prior to my colectomy. Life with IBD is tough and painful. When I was 35 I tried cannabis for the first time and I found it helped me sleep and made my mood lift - I was dealing with severe depression, like many patients. I had never tried any illicit drugs up to that point. My wife, very conservative, was supportive. In fact, I was in such a better mood around the family that she said on more than one occasion "I wish you were always this happy". I used several days a week and most weekends. I never felt physically addicted but I would say that psychologically I enjoyed it enough to take it when I should not have (at work, etc). I was also massively unproductive while using, generally.

Now that I'm not in pain, I can think more logically about my use. It definitely helped me - no question. But I also know that I took it just to get high and that this sometimes interfered with the daily obligations of work and family. You have to be honest with yourself.

Fast forward to present. I have been without my colon since Aug 2015. Life is much better. I don't really do cannabis anymore - perhaps once a year in a social setting. I think it should absolutely be legal for medicinal purposes. I would suggest your husband talk with a counselor or try to evaluate his use as unemotionally as possible.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm

I certainly agree with most already said but your Husband needs to hear this from his Physician verses hearing it from you! Your marriage is not healthy with this in the way and so it is not just him that is in danger. Your child should never be scared of her daddy! Please call his Doctor and maybe go see him by yourself to talk! 

Puppyluv

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Marijuana must be mentally addictive then. When I was younger I met people that had to smoke everyday because they said they couldn't function properly without it. Some people have the propensity to addictive behavior.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Nowadays, marijuana is stronger than it was years ago and therefore, potentially addictive. Perhaps go with him and get something with higher CBD and lower THC. Vapes and edibles are too concentrated and hard to dose consistently.  If pain reduction is the object, go for CBD and topicals. Get him more massages and physical therapy. Let him know he is scaring his daughter. Family therapy or social worker. Help him find pleasure and happiness in other ways, nature, laughter, exercise, yoga, arts and crafts, cooking, etc.

Symposium in Mt Shasta, CA. I was not there, but got a summary from someone.  Here it is, sorry it is long. Info may be useful.

The Cannabis Educational Event on Feb. 2, 2019. Scientific research studies and statistical evidence presented by our Panel of Five Experts in their fields which allowed the audience to draw their own conclusions. The Event was not Pro or Con on Cannabis. The speakers each shared researched evidence on the effects of the Cannabis being sold today which contains a high percentage of THC. The Speakers shared how Cannabis use affects our Society and our Environment. I found the speakers and research believable. The Research points shared below are solely the points made by that speaker, and not by me.

Points made by Ben Cort, Boulder, Colorado. He is very familiar with the Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment Field and is a Consultant. I’ve included a link, at end of this article, to his 16 Minute Ted Talk (well worth viewing).
1. The CBD part of marijuana is the part from which you do not get high if it is pure with no THC added. It contains the potential medical properties of marijuana. But very likely it's not grown with Organic Seeds. That means pesticides and fungicides are used on the marijuana plant.
2. Before 1970, Cannabis contained less than .5% of THC. Now the THC part has risen to 30% in Cannabis.The higher the THC part, the greater the potential toward addiction.
3. Cannabis in a “concentrate” form can contain up to 90% THC and even higher…highly addictive. As the THC percent increases, the CBD percent is decreased. Dispensaries may offer concentrates of THC in vape pens, candy, cookies, gum, coffee, ice-cream, mood spray. Beware Parents! The packaging on candy looks very similar in color and size to the non-Cannabis candy wrappers. Almond Joy, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Girl Scout Cookies (Dr. Stuyt said THC levels of 17-28% have been found in what’s labeled as " Girl Scout Cookies”), and gum now have their counterpart sold with THC. Children need to be trained to recognize the difference. The Cannabis Industry is chasing out the small growers of Cannabis.
4. In Colorado, since retail Cannabis stores opened up in 2014, weed-related crime has increased, arrests have increased among the youth, and school suspensions have gone up considerably.

5. Ben saw that our hopes for a Cannabis that was pure and natural is making it hard for us to see what is really going on with the chemical Industry’s Cannabis today.
6. Ben suggested we must hold the Cannabis Industry to a higher standard. (See Ben’s 16 minute Ted Talk link at end of article. It is very informative.)

7. Dr. Libby Stuyt, Addiction Psychiatrist in Colorado, spoke about high rates of mental illness developing among adults and youth as they attempted to cope with their experiences of addiction. She covered high potency THC and its effect on the developing brain…from the baby in the womb of a mother who smokes marijuana, to young children who are around adults who smoke in their homes, to teens who smoke…influenced by peer pressure, to adults who are regular users. She saw some teens and adults dealing with mental illness and psychosis after a period of time under the stress of addiction.

8. Second-hand smoke has an effect on children, pets, and other non-smoking adults in the home. It makes children and youth more susceptible to smoking and becoming addicted themselves later in life. Their brains are still developing much until about age 25. Children are very vulnerable.
9. The Good News: Abstinence from all drugs for about 90 days begins to break the addictions. Exercise becomes very important to help the body recover/return to health. It’s important to replace the drug habit with habits to enforce health.It is possible to reverse brain damage if adults (who are addicted), choose to quit drugs for about 18 months. It will be important to replace the Cannabis habit with other activities that supports the body’s health and emotional wellbeing. There are Organizations who will share methods of Recovery.
10. Dr Mourad Gabriel, Univ. of CA at Davis. Exec. Director of Integral Ecology Research Center. “The Environmental Impacts of Marijuana Cultivation on the Environment.” When many different pesticides are used on private and public land by the Cannabis Industry to grow Cannabis, the pesticides are often toxic and poisonous to animals and humans. Deer, birds, and rodents are very affected. The Northern Spotted Owls are affected.

11. Deforestation occurs. The water below a cannabis growth area can be contaminated. It may be another farmer’s land. Pesticides have been detected in water samples. Soil samples can be contaminated.
12. One or two CA Labs that test purity of cannabis have been shut down for not testing for all the different forms of insecticides used. They falsified lab reports. One cannot presume Cannabis products are safe to use. Is our eco-system safe?
(See a link to Dr. Gabriel’s website at end of article.)

13. Siskiyou County Sheriff, Jon E. Lopey: On some Cannabis growth lands, there is refuse and pollution left behind. Garbage and pesticides, dangerous to humans also, are left on the land, along with guns and ammunition.
14. THC impairs one’s ability to drive. Marijuana related accidents are on the rise. Innocent lives are injured, and deaths do occur. Whole families are impacted.

15. Dr. Phillip Drum, Pharmacist in CA: Topic, “Marijuana and the Cost to Society since it was Legalized.)In many states that legalized Cannabis, the amount of increased TAX REVENUE was extremely lower than the costs to society for marijuana related accidents, illness, hospitalization, destruction of property, destruction of life.For some who start out with marijuana, there could be a tendency to move on to other drugs to get the next stronger “high” experience. If one is experiencing a “high” on THC marijuana, one should not be driving for 6 hours after that. Marijuana impacts the brain’s reaction time in attempting to avoid an accident.

Much more information was given during the four hour presentation that is valuable to know.
A Professional Video was made of Saturday’s Cannabis Educational Event covering the research presented by the five Speakers who are Experts in their field. It will be for sale soon. It’s a fascinating Video.If you wish to purchase a Video... Contact: **** Then visit the website: mtshastacares.com to learn of more, updated research on the Cannabis Studies. At the end of the day, it is left for each person to make their wisest decision on this issue.

Here is the Link to Ben Cort’s 16 min. Ted Talk: (Worth viewing).
https://www.ted.com/talks/ben_cort_surprising_truths_about_legalizing_cannabis?language=en
Here is the Link to Dr. Gabriel, Exec. Dir. of Ecology Research Center. “Environmental Impacts of Marijuana Cultivation.”http://www.iercecology.org/marijuana-grow-site-environmental-clean-up-project-summaries/

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:11 pm

One more thing. There may be pesticides and other chemical residues in how the marijuana is grown and processed that may be contributing to his issues. Perhaps a blood test could look for chemical sensitivities. 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.