Itching Around Stoma & Pouch: Any Solutions?

Replies
Views
Little Red

Hi all. Hope you in the Midwest made it okay through the big freeze. Now I have a question, 2 years for my colostomy, and I use Hollister one piece and don't have a problem with any leaks but the itching is driving me crazy. It is around the stoma and on the outside of my pouch. I have tried some things, I only clean with water, and make sure my skin is dry before applying the new pouch, but I am still itching myself. Any ideas what causes this or have others had the same problem and what did you do. I hate to switch appliances, I like the one I use. I do use 2 different sizes and switch them every other change. HELP LOL.

Newtothebag

I also have a lot of itching with mine and take Benadryl all the time! Hope we can find some answers.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

I had a lot of itching as well. I found out that I was allergic to my barrier wipe, so I tried other brands. In addition, I only clean the area with clear water, but I use an adhesive remover every time I completely change my appliance. I wipe the area down with the remover and then I clean the area with clear water, several rinses. I let the area dry, use my barrier wipe, and secure a wafer and new pouch. So far, the itching is controlled. Good luck. Hope this helps.

britathrt60

Itching is so awful. I use rubbing alcohol to clean the stoma and area and dry before applying a new flange and pouch. Once in a while, if it itches, I take a Reactine Extra Strength which works very well. Good luck. Take care.

Little Red

I only use water to clean the area and nothing with alcohol as it stings. It still itches after a while. Maybe I am not getting the area as clean as it should be. But funny, it doesn't itch under my pouch much, usually around it on my bare skin. I will see my ET RN at our meeting this week and ask her. I have tried body lotion a few times and that seems to help for a while. Maybe some sort of allergy.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
freedancer

I also use Hollister. I use the two-piece and the wax rings. I have an ileostomy and mine itches too. It is also around the stoma and the outside of the barrier. I do not see any rash or open sores at all. What I have been doing is double wiping with the no-sting barrier wipes. It has helped quite a bit for me.

Fishman

I am 8 months into my urostomy, I feel new at all this. I constantly itch and I am sore around my stoma. Pinxav around the flange, not under it, seems to help. Butt Paste works well also. I'm beginning to think I'll have to live with the soreness.