Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,806 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,806 OstoMates.

Itching.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi all.  Hope you  in the midwest made it ok thru the big freeze.  Now I have a question,   2years for my Colostomy,  and I use Hollister  one piece and don't have a problem with any leaks  but the itching is driving me crazy.   it is around the stoma and on the outside of my pouch.  I have tried  some things,  I only clean with water,  and make sure my skin is dry before applying the  new pouch,  but  I am still itching myself .   Any ideas what causes this or have others had the like problem and what did you do  . I hate to switch  appliances  I like the one I use.  I do use 2 different sizes and switch them every other change   HELP    LOL.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 pm

I also have a lot of itching with mine and take Benadryl all the time! Hope we can find some answers

Advertisement
ConvaTec - Less Pressure More Protection
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:19 pm

I had a lot of itching as well.  I found out that I was allergic to my barrier wipe so I tried other brands.  In addition, I only clean the area with clear water but I use an adhesive remover every time I completely change my appliance.  I wipe the area down with the remover and then I clean the area with clear water, several rinses.  I let the area dry, use my barrier wipe and secure a wafer and new pouch.  So far, the itching is controlled.  Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:51 am

Itching is so awful..I use rubbing alcohol to clean the stoma and area and dry before applying new flange and pouch...once in awhile if it itches I take a reactine extra strength which works very well..Good luck...take care.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:53 am

I only use water to clean the area and nothing with alcohol  as it stings.  It still itches after awhile   Maybe I am not getting the area as clean as it should be.  But funny it dosent itche under my pouch much,  usually around it on my bare skin.  I will see my ET RN at our meeting this  week and ask her.  I have tried body lotion a few times and that seems to help  for awhile.  Maybe some sort of allergy.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 pm

I also use Hollister.  I use the two piece and the wax rings.  I have an ileostomy and mine itches too.  It is also around the stoma and the outside of the barrier.  I do not see any rash or open sores at all.  What I have been doing is double wiping with the no sting barrier wipes. It has helped quite a bit for me.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am

I am 8 months into my urostomy, I feel new at all this. I constantly itch and i am sore around my stoma.  Pinxav around the flange, not under it, seems to help.  Butt Paste works well also.  I'm beginning to think I'll have to live with the soreness.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.