Incontinence after ileostomy reversal: How long does it last?

Replies
Views
Prizzy

Had a reversal on January 15. I take up to 4 Imodium a day to control diarrhea. My stool is now somewhat formed, but very frequent. Sometimes I have time to make it to the toilet, other times I don't. Just looking for other experiences. How long can I expect this incontinence to last? I know everyone is different. Getting a bit discouraged, but maybe I am too impatient. Thanks for any input.

iMacG5

Hi Prizzy.  I'm not equipted to offer any opinion on the physical part of your situation but it does seem kinda early to expect big improvements.  I lived in the bathroom for a couple years and it's no fun.  Please be as patient as possible and question your surgeon and GI folks for qualified answers.

Wish you the best,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bagface

Hi Prizzy- Just got home yesterday after reversal surgery. My surgeon told me it could be 3-6 months for things to straighten out. So far I've been eating small frequent meals and keeping the Depends handy!

Schweetdecember

My 74-year-old friend is scheduled for her ileostomy reversal next week. How long is the hospital stay and who takes care of the open wound? I have been taking care of her since this started last May. She had a colostomy, then unexpectedly, he gave her an ileostomy to allow healing of the colostomy reversal. It's been tough.

Prizzy

I had an ileostomy reversal on Jan 15 and left the hospital on Jan 19. My incision was stapled shut and I had no wound care. I went back a week later to get my staples out and it had healed fine. I know it's tough, but hang in there...it does get better.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ReddogUSA

I am wondering the same thing, kind of thinking what to expect if I had it done, as I don't want to be crapping my pants, bag seems easier at this point, but will be following this post. Good luck.

Norm