Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,240 members

Ileostomy reversal

Posted by Prizzy, on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:35 am

had a reversal on January 15.  I take up to 4 Imodium a day to control diarrhea.  My stool is now somewhat formed, but very frequent.  Sometimes I have time to make it to the toilet, other times I don’t.  Just looking for other experiences.  How long can I expect this incontinence to last?  I know everyone is different.  Getting a bit discouraged, but maybe I am too impatient.  Thanks for any input.

Reply by iMacG5, on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi Prizzy.  I'm not equipted to offer any opinion on the physical part of your situation but it does seem kinda early to expect big improvements.  I lived in the bathroom for a couple years and it's no fun.  Please be as patient as possible and question your surgeon and GI folks for qualified answers.

Wish you the best,

Mike

Reply by Bagface, on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:06 am

Hi Prizzy- Just got home yesterday after reversal surgery. My surgeon told me it could be. 3-6 months for things to staighten out. So far I've been eating small frequent meals and keeping the Depends handy!

Reply by Schweetdecember, on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:30 am

My 74 year old friend is scheduled for her ileostomy reversal next week.  How long is the hospital stay and who takes care of the open wound?  I have been taking care of her since this started last May.  She had a colostomy, then unexpectedly he gave her an ileostomy to allow healing of the colostomy reversal.  It's been tough.

Reply by Prizzy, on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:39 am

I had an ileostomy reversal on Jan 15 and left the hospital on Jan 19.  My incision was stapled shut and I had no wound care.  I went back a week later to get my staples out and it had healed fine.  I know it’s tough, but hang in there...it does get better.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.