Pros/cons of ileostomy reversal at 60?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the pros and cons of undergoing ileostomy reversal at the age of 60, with members sharing their experiences and insights.
csteven

I had a LAR with ileostomy in Dec 2018. After the post-surgery chemo, my doctor is pushing for a reversal. Prior to the LAR, I had radio/chemo. It was successful as the pathology report showed that cancer has been downgraded from stage 3b to stage 0. I had 27cm (10.6") removed, which included all my rectum and probably most, if not all, the sigmoid. I also had some burning/scarring in the 'back passage' due to the earlier radio. I've read horror stories from those who have had a reversal and regret it. I don't love my ileo, but I also don't hate it. It's manageable. It scares me wondering if I'll poop my pants all the time with the reversal. I'd like anyone to share pros/cons on getting a reversal. I'm thinking at nearly age 60, maybe it's not worth it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Csteven,

I'll leave advice about whether or not to do a reversal to others who have had it done, but I want to say one thing. 60 is not old! You could have another 30 years yet! Maybe more. Don't let that be the deciding factor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Yep, agree Weirdnewlifelife! Sixty is just getting started! This is when you get to enjoy the life you have worked hard to make! Do not let your age dictate this opportunity! Base it on the chances of being successful!

Puppy

iMacG5

Hey Csteven, Like the ladies suggested 60 isn't really that old.  A long time ago I was 60 and can only vaguely remember it.  Just kidding.  Your situation seems a lot like mine except I have a colostomy.  I went through the radiation and chemo then a couple surgeries.  I'm 78 and OK with the colostomy and, though I experiment regularly, I wouldn't be ready to gamble on a reversal unless I was way younger.  You sound like a young 60 year old and, to me, the most significant thing you wrote was you don't hate your ileo.  I'm not sure if I would've felt a lot differently at 60 but knowing what I do now I'm thankful to be where I am.

W9ish you the very best,

Mike

Jabid
Hi CSteven

I am also a Stage 3b colorectal cancer survivor. I had an APR surgery. I am just wondering how is it possible for a reversal if your rectum is gone? In any case, I wish you good luck and a full recovery.

Jabid

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

What Jabid says makes lots of sense. I think about the rectum as a reservoir. Without it the “reversal” would involve an ileo-anal anastomosis called J-pouch surgery. I would investigate it.
Keep us posted.
Mike

countyclare

I would suggest that you locate and discuss this with at least several persons who have had a reversal. Speaking with them would hopefully help you in making your decision. Also, I think it is essential that you have a detailed discussion with the surgeon who would be performing your surgery. This is essential. Best wishes and much success in making your decision. Mike from Ohio

Hermit

Hello, same as you! Stage 3b to 0! Ileostomy! Reversal failed! Ileostomy! Restriction! Changed surgeon! Permanent colostomy! Love it except stoma prolapsed! Am 67 and still above ground! Am on dating sites as I'm widowed! Trust me, you're not too old! Good luck on your decision!

csteven

Thanks all for your feedback. It's a tough decision. You hear bad outcome stories and good ones. I'm leaning towards keeping it simple and just living with what I got. An ileostomy as I feel good.

OrlandoNewbie

The reason for my ileostomy was diverticulitis, so my situation is different. I had an emergency colostomy in June, reversal that didn't work and was replaced by an ileostomy in October, and then I had my reversal of the not-quite-three-month-old ileostomy just before Christmas. I was prepared for the "urgency" and soreness problems I have read about here and elsewhere...and neither happened. Other than trying to build my abdominal and leg muscles back up, I have had no issues and am very happy to be bag-free.

Obviously, discuss everything with your surgeon, but I would advise you to not reject something because of what "might" happen.

I'll be 68 soon, still working, and very active ---- so you're still a puppy at not quite 60!

michaelderrick

My father-in-law was told a reversal was not possible and too dangerous as he's 67! However, the bullshit general surgeon hadn't banked on his son-in-law having had more bowel surgeries than he had performed, lol! He has now had it done and is so much happier! There are always risks and pros and cons, so it's a personal choice. Just make sure you have all the full facts and make an informed decision that fits with you and your life.

All the best, Michael

csteven

Just had the reversal done 3 days ago. Early days still but so far so good. Bowel seems controllable. Doctors say I don't have to change my diet except to go easy on fiber for a month or two. Minor pain. Getting discharged today. Seems like it all worked out.

OrlandoNewbie

Well done! And best of luck going forward.

I'm eight months after reversal, and no problems. I eat what I want, pay attention to fiber, and remind myself to chew for a while...just in case!

You may experience a little "paranoia" about twinges and such (I know I do), but it settles down with time.

csteven

Thanks Orlando for the best wishes. My best wishes to you, too.

Yes, you are exactly correct about my concerns at the moment: twinges, paranoia. But you're correct that I'm sure these will settle down soon enough. Anyway, so far so good now that I'm going on 5 days post-reversal.

Cheers,

Steve

Puppyluv56

Congratulations on taking the step back to the old normal!

I wish you a speedy recovery and an easy transition getting the old pipes working properly again. All good things take a little time!

Puppyluv

Killarney
Reply to Anonymous

That's good news. I feel so old in my head but 60+ isn't old? My heart will be happy.