Alternative Pain Management Options Needed!

Replies
Views
Brown eyed girl

I am just wondering what people do nowadays for pain management? I was on pain management for many years...weaned myself off because I felt I didn't need it every day. Now I have a partial bowel obstruction and am told to go home and take Tylenol? Really? If Tylenol was working for me, I wouldn't come to the ER! I am a 16-year survivor of stage 3 colon cancer and have been on and off opiates for that many years. I move to a new town and am told to take Tylenol. OMG! I am so glad that when I was diagnosed in 2003, doctors were compassionate and wanted me to be out of pain. I feel for people fighting the battle in 2019 and cannot get pain relief! God bless you all!

iMacG5

Hi Brown eyed girl.  I have no medical training except what I got from my own experiences.  I can't imagine tylenol being prescribed for bowel obstructions.  Wouldn't the remedy be to remove the obstruction?  Maybe stool softeners, warm drinks, massages or other sensible remedies.  Sometimes I think we can get better advice from folks who have gone through this stuff than from some medical "professionals".

Respectfully,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hey Brown Eyed Girl,

I would ask my old gastric doctor to refer me to one in your new town. Let him determine the extent of your obstruction through testing and take care of you! Drugs have never been an answer for me. I hate taking anything! They just mask a problem that may get worse under their influence! Sometimes they are a necessary evil! Urgent care and ER's are not the best place to get care. They just pass the buck!

Hope you find the answer soon!

Puppyluv

dls

Not knowing all the details, there is some kind of federal mandate to 'manage pain' with few, if any drugs. It's all over the news...no one has mentioned HOW they are going to do this. The stated reason is addiction to opiates. Well, after my surgery I was on a buffered morphine, then super-opiates--oxycodone as well as hydrocodone. Not only did I not get addicted, I couldn't wait to get off of those evil things. However, as I weaned myself off, I was in such pain that I gladly went back to them, and stayed the course until I could come off them, without pain. For pain now, I take aspirin. If that doesn't work I call my doc. After all we've been through, they must take you seriously, or get another doc. My surgeon warned me about this-telling me that docs are not trained as they were and are often hemmed in and constrained by lawmakers and public opinion, rather than sound medical input. You can get what you need, get your med records and find a doc who will treat you and your real pain with the respect and relief you need to get well.

Dls

Hermit

Same disease as you! Colostomy! I am 67! You know, it's a shame people our age can't get the real painkillers! So what if we get addicted? We're paying for the druggies that abused them, and doctors are covering their own butts! Guess I would too!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hermit

Same disease as you! Colostomy! I am 67! You know, it's a shame people our age can't get the real painkillers! So what if we get addicted? We're paying for the druggies that abused them, and doctors are covering their own butts! Guess I would too!

Brown eyed girl

I actually had a partial bowel obstruction.....just wanted some pain relief while waiting for it to clear......had many of these years ago and know what to do....but when the pain gets to the point that I cannot handle it anymore, I have always been able to get pain meds to see me through. I am very meticulous about my medications and never take more than needed. Just concerns me that when in severe pain, I can't get relief anymore. It's a miserable feeling. Anyhow, it has passed now and all is good.

Brown eyed girl

I am now in contact with my primary care physician. This episode happened on a holiday weekend. Don't need pain meds often.......but hate being refused when I am at a breaking point!!!

Brown eyed girl

Understand! I guess if I were a medical professional, I would want to play it safe. Just stinks that we can't get relief when needed and it is available. Just not allowed to have it!!!

freedancer

Can you take Toradol? It is a non-narcotic painkiller that they give people who come to the hospital on their own. You can drive when taking it. It worked pretty well for me.