Ibuprofen and Ostomy: Safe or Risky?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kbd

I have an ileostomy due to Crohn's. I have heard taking ibuprofen is a bad idea as it can cause bleeding. Just wanting to know if those with an ostomy should stay away from ibuprofen or not.

Thanks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I think if you're taking ibuprofen on a regular basis, you may want to stop. This isn't good to take all the time, whether you have an ostomy or not. I have taken it for a headache without any problems. My doctor has even told me to take it for muscle strains.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

I take only Acetaminophen PM at night and have never had any issues. Aspirin-based painkiller is not good for your stomach and definitely not NSAIDs!

Sometimes you just gotta do what works though!

Puppyluv

kbd

Thanks to you both for the advice!

Past Member

I take ibuprofen regularly, have done for quite a few years. I try to keep it down to 1 or 2 a day (400mg). I've never had any problems so far.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
kbd

That is good to know.

Thanks!