Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Irrigating

Posted by Dancingthrough, on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 am

Hi.  I just started irrigating about 3 weeks ago and it is going great.  This morning though I had cramping underneath my breasts. As I out put the cramping died down a bit.  Have not had this happen before, is it normal?  Thanks

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 am

a common cause of cramping is water that is too cool....as long as it isnt severe i wouldnt worry too much about it. if you remember back when we pooped the "old fashioned way" we occasionaly had some cramps. if it persists i would ask my doc or nurse about it.

Reply by Dancingthrough, on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks Mild. After all finished cramping gone.  I’ll keep check on the water temp. Thanks

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:07 pm

How much water are you using to irrigate. Sometimes that “full” feeling can me mistaken for cramps too! 

Pup

Reply by Dancingthrough, on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:55 pm

About 2 litres

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:34 pm

1500 cc give or take! I add a little extra because some does escape around the cone as I am putting it in! 

Reply by Dancingthrough, on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:55 pm

👍. Thanks

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Dancing, 

How are you coming along? Any issues? Believe me, if it could happen to you, it did to me! Have to laugh now but was not so funny at the time! Remind me to tell you of some of my great irrigating days sometime! Lol

candy

Reply by Dancingthrough, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi.  Doing absolutely great.  Best thing that has happened to me since my surgery.  Glad I took the plunge. It gets easier every day. One question though. It just happened today that I had output late in the afternoon. Not extreme but I have been getting used to no output at all since I have been irrigating.  I irrigate in the morning. Any particular reason this would happen, maybe something I ate?  Look forward hearing your stories. 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Awesome, so glad it is working well for you too! Probably something you ate that was not low residue. Greasy stuff or salads tend to make mine do that! You may want to keep a log of food you eat to compare it when you have output and you will find the culprit! I am a French fry freak so sometimes ya just gotta have it! Lol if I would just stop with a few but NO, not me! Got to eat a bunch! Lol I do still wear a full two piece pouch system because I am having some radiation that causes some issues and I am trying to go every other day irrigation. Every day is much more dependable! 

Candy

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Good evening Puppyluv,

Me too the water use to come out around the cone, but I remember what my stomo told me :to always enter your index finger with lubricating gel to make the way for the cone, while the bowel retract it's easyer to fit the cone, and now i never have water escape around the cone SmileSmile

Puppyluv56 wrote:

1500 cc give or take! I add a little extra because some does escape around the cone as I am putting it in! 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Hey girl! Long time no see! Hope you are well! 

I do insert a finger with get every time. It definetely makes a difference! Apparently it was just the shape of that cone that was the issue. No more problems since going back to the first cone I used! 

Puppy

Reply by Dancingthrough, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:23 am

Thanks.  I am also a French fry freak so I fully understand. I think it may have been the Italian food binge I’ve been on.  Spicy red sauce for dinner 2 nights in a row with a few fries thrown in lol.  I will keep track. 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Yeah, 

either the Italian food or the fries thrown in! A little never hurts but, like me, I go all out! lol 

candy

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Hey Dancing,

Has your irrigation continued to improve? I hope so! Have not seen you on here much, you doing okay? 

Hopefully, life is happening and you have less time! Lol 

pup

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.