Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,317 members

Itching and Irritation under Barrier.

Posted by vollovr, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 pm

All it amounts to is your skin is telling you that it needs attention by changing your barrier and pouch.That's how I know it's time to change to a new fresh one especially after several days like you mentioned.When my skin starts to itch or burn I change then I am good to go until next time.

Reply by Lits, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Calamine is what I was advised to use--it's great!  Put on a very thin layer wherever skin looks red/dark pink/irritated.  Thin!  I timed it and it takes 2 minutes to dry sufficiently.  The nurses here recommend it, and it even beat the $7/use Marathon product.

Reply by bigal1579, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Lots of good ideas to try.  Here are the ones I think you should do for sure (and a couple of others).

1. No soap, water only, and take the pouch off in the shower to totally rinse your skin - you stoma doesn't mind water.

2. (this might be the most important) Give your skin as much air time as possible before applying the new pouch, even longer than your current 10 minutes.  Standing over the toilet and/or a small wad of TP to catch things will facilitate this.

3. Make sure skin is very dry before applying new pouch.

4. Experiment with other brands and even the same brand over time - they tweak their formulas.  They will all send you free samples.  Coloplast works well for me.

5. The arm test for allergies might not be predictive because it does not emulate the true conditions.

6. Change more often.  As the seal degrades, some output can start touching your skin even if it is not leaking.

A good dermatologist might also help if the problems continue.

Reply by Newbie Dana, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:33 pm

My ostomy nurse said to use the powder on the red irritated skin, then use a barrier spray over the top of that to provide a base that the wafer adhesive can stick to. She called it "crusting". I do not have particularly sensitive skin, and most of the time when I do get itching or irritation, it's because the adhesive of the pouch has loosened directly around the stoma and waste has infiltrated between the skin and wafer, causing the irritation. I guess I can blame the fact that I have a significant peri-stomal hernia, and the stresses cause that part around to stoma to loosen first. Hard for a flat wafer to fit on a hill! LOL!

Reply by Nobagjerz, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:01 pm
I had to stop wearing a pouch 👝.the adhesive is what I was sensitive to it left me with big red ring.good and warm water ' and no Chile.the more you eat the more you go.
Reply by paulaAZ, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:50 pm

I have had that type of irritation underneath and what I have done that completely stopped it was to use Lotrimin powder.  I put on the Lotrimin and then crust on top of that.  I then use stoma powder and crust that.  Of course, make sure everything is completely dry before putting on the wafer.  I have had no issues with irritation since starting to use this method.  Hope this helps.  And as an aside -- I have tried the generic but Lotrimin powder is what worked! 

HTH 

Paula

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Lil Red. Hope you get this all figured out! Like Marsha says, right is what works for you. I use nothing these days! I use a two piece so only change every 10 days or so and that helps that my skin is not subjected to so many rugs and pulls in the reapplication process. I also irrigate so a two piece is a must until you can graduate to a cap and they also come in two piece but they are not as flat as the single use ones. On change day, I irrigate  first then take everything off. Shower with nothing and use my same shower gel around my stoma as the rest of my body. Rinse well. If I do see any lingering adhesive, I will use an Adhesive remover wipe but let it dry a long time and sometimes use the hair dryer to insure it is dry. I also use the hair dryer to warm the new flange. Then apply. Never had any issues. I also shower with my pouch on the rest of the time and use the dryer to dry it out. That is only because it is so wet, it soaks thru my clothes but probably helps the adhesive as well. Let us know what you finally find to help! We will all have this issue eventually I am sure. I have just been lucky ! 

Puppy

Reply by Rosiesmom, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 am

I am one of the ones who use calamine lotion, it dries in seconds and I have never had a problem with  my base/wafer not sticking. I change base twice a week on average and pouch twice a day. I never use soap or gels around stoma just a warm washcloth, I have had a stomach for 5 years and touch wood no skin problems occasional mild irritation hence the need for calamine. I think sometimes if you apply too many layers of products that can cause irritation, keep it simple, clean DRY that’s enough.

Reply by Rosiesmom, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:10 am

Hi I cannot possibly be an a____ as I do not have one, how about them apples.

Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Hey Red, the Hollister barrier rings worked very well for me.  I don't use any barrier rings anymore because I gained confidence from Convatec people and folks on this site.  Clean and dry seem to be key issues for adhesion and skin protection.  I think less stuff is better than more.  3m Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film does a good job.  

Once the skin gets irritated we're in the repair mode rather than just protection so we hope to avoid that.  Lots of wise caring folks here will help you.

Respectfully,

Mike

Reply by Little Red, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks Mike,  You are not the only one that has told me that  I have ordered some Cavilon spray,  I wanted some of the swabs but no one seems to have them.

Reply by zanzi1, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I've had an ileostomy for 40 years and after about 20 years with no problem, my appliance wouldn't ahdhere due to weepiness and skin breakdown.  I found the perfect solution for your problem. A community nurse suggested Topicort Gel and I've never had another problem. Another name is Desoximetasone Gel USP, 0.05% . Taro is the manufacturer in the U.S. Interestingly, I consulted and enterstoma therapist, a dermatologist, a gastroenterologist and none of them had a viable solution. It took a community nurse at a hospital who was recommended by the surgical supply store to finally solve this very distressing problem. Good Luck.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Zanzi1,

it is a shame that there is so little support out there for our needs! I am pretty sure the I have never talked to a nurse, Edgepark Rep., rep from Coloplast or Convetec hat has an Ostomy and they may know their product but until you HAVE to use it  you really don’t know! Nice to get all the input from experience here! 

Puppyluv

Reply by Silveradokid, on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi Little Red. I tend toward increased skin irritation during the winter months when the air is dry. I change my appliance every 4 or 5 days. After removal, first wash the area with a 'skin-sensitive' soap and dab dry. Then I rub in a little TETRIX CREAM and let it soak in for a couple of minutes. After that, I apply the skin barrier cream and then adgesive paste. Attach the 2-piece bag and go. I don't use the additional flange as I find it to be just one more possible leak. Hope this helps. All the best - Silveradokid. 

Reply by cats tails, on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 am

try

ask for a sample of  Platinum with Vit E  216612E Maxi

also, ask for some flange extension strips

The pouches need a bit extra support

I suffered for a year until I found these, cleared up my skin in 4 days.

Hope this helps   cats whiskers  use google 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.