Ostomate Veterans: Sharing Experiences & Support

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Definition: One who has experience in a particular field. In the United States armed forces, there are five branches of service: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard.

Who is considered a military veteran? One who served 90 days on active duty during wartime or 180 days on active peacetime.

Of course, there are those who served 20 years or more and were in combat zones, and those who served a few years during peacetime.

I'm using the above statement as an analogy...

Hello Ostomates, if you are new, welcome to MAO (MeetAnOstomate).

According to the administration of this site, there are thousands of us, based on the numbers. Ok, let us talk about my subject, the veterans. There are members in this group who have had an ostomy for 60 years or more. Well, I for one, would definitely consider that person a veteran. Of course, the numbers vary for other ostomate veterans: 50, 40, 30 years or less per person. I cannot yet consider myself in the veteran category because I have had my ostomy since 2015. So, I'm a babe compared to some.

Members in this group had the surgery for many different reasons. But nevertheless, we all arrived here. The good thing about this site is that you can learn a lot about ostomy issues. Actually, I've learned things that the surgeon didn't tell me.

There are three types of surgeries that leave one with an ostomy. They are as follows: Colostomy, Ileostomy, and Urostomy. Some are not permanent, so they heal and revert back to normal. Then, of course, there are some that surgery fails to restore them back to normalcy.

I can tell you about my walk as one that had a colostomy, which is sometimes different from another that had the same surgery. But when it comes to one that had an Ileostomy and Urostomy, only the one walking in those shoes daily can truly share their life experiences with us. Of course, being ostomates, we share issues with each other such as leaks, swelling, and occasionally blow-outs. I'm sure some issues I didn't list.

But what makes this group so unique and work so well collectively is that we all have something to share that can be beneficial to others in the group. Regardless of the reason for the surgery, their own personal experiences have proven time and again to be the best advice or medicine. I often use the words, "that's not my lane." No doubt for the reasons listed above.

However you found this group, initially I'm sure you felt like you were in unfamiliar territory. When you feel like that, take a deep breath and know there are others like yourself. Keep in mind first and foremost that doctors have the answers for the medical questions. Lastly, if you do post with a question and it takes a while, eventually someone who truly can answer your question and inquiry will respond. Hang in there!

Best wishes,

Angelicamarie

Morning glory

Angel, enjoyed your post as usual. We are all in this together and I am happy to see this welcoming post to all. I may be a veteran, but times have changed over the years and I am always ready to relearn.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Understood, but the abundance of knowledge is most helpful and for some life-saving. Thanks!

scorsby

Hi.

A very good post. Lots that you've said in that piece that is true and needed to be said.

Very well written.

John

xnine

We all need to spread the word. You are very good at it.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Dancingthrough

Great post. I'm a newbie but have learned so much from this site and I have made many friends.

Angelicamarie

Scorsby, xnine, and Dancingthrough. When I stumbled on his site, I realized I wasn't alone. I was broken in many pieces. I was going through the motions, but yet still broken. There were many that touched me, sharing their journeys. As my healing began, I had to give what was given to me (support). I'm still on the journey!

Thank you all...

Past Member

I've had my ileostomy since I was 1 year old, I'm 29 now. Would that make me a veteran? But then again, I practically never knew a life before it. To me, that's my biggest issue with connecting with other ostomates. They often talk of change and being impaired since. Having to readjust to a new life. I cannot relate to that even though we have to go through the same hoops in the end.

Angelicamarie

With that... there are many ostomates that never knew any other way. You are still an ostomate with a lot to share. Don't feel left out by no means.... you loved yourself from the beginning. You're still a part of the group! I would say so... you have experience. Yes, my fellow ostomate!