Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Living with ileostomy

Posted by izipizi, on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Im getting a colostomy reversal and incisional hernia repair and diverting ileostomy . Anyone been thru that,whats it like. What am I in for?

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:51 pm

I have not but wish you the best of luck! There are many success stories on this site!

pup 

Reply by izipizi, on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:36 am

Thank you for your kind words.Im scare of the process and fear complications.

Reply by izipizi, on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Tomorrows my big day. Very anxious today ,beginning the prep. Have to be at hospital 1 hr away at 6am.

Reply by iMacG5, on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Hey Iz.  I'll be thinking about you.  I didn't get the reversal but lots of other stuff.  Your anxiety is so familiar to me and guess what.  The procedures were done, it's all over, I'm all healed and the sun is shining.  It's all good for me as it will be for you.  We'll be waiting for you to share your good news.

Respectfully,

Mike

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Iz, 

i am sure all has gone well. Let us hear from you as soon as you feelnup to it! Wishing you a speedy recovery! 

puppy

Reply by izipizi, on Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 am

Im in my 4th week post op. Saw surgeon yesterday. Have had ups and downs with nausea,poor appetite,draining ileostomy at least 8-9 times a day. A few leaks  and bad timing on changes.

Difficulty gaing weight back. Im underweight. Periods of exhaustion intermittently. Still in pain from colostomy reversal site which had small henia I just found out yesterday was also repaired,in additon to reversal colostomy,ileostomy,appendectomy ,repair of incisonal hernia and para colostomy hernia. Spent 8 nights in hospital.

I am walking almost every day about 20-30 minutes. Using heating pad regularly on abdomen .

I knew this would be rough....but I thought by now I might be in less pain.

Surgeoun said everything looks good...Scheduled for ileostomy reversal in about 2 months.

He said I will need enema study and sigmoidoscopy first preop ....ouch.

Anxiety prevails on this long journey.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks .

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Thu May 09, 2019 4:29 pm

You sound as if you are doing great! That was alot to go thru and you are up and walking every day! Good for you!

You will improve by leaps and bounds now! You have the hard part Behind you!  The ileostomy May be more difficult to handle but you only have a short time to deal with it! Good luck with your studies and future surgery! 

Puppyluv

Last edited by Puppyluv56 on Fri May 10, 2019 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply by izipizi, on Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks puppy love 

Reply by ron in mich, on Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 am
Hi izipizi I had resection and moved stoma from right to left last year of my ileo. and I found that the nausea could be stopped by drinking a small can of v8 juice, I think it helped with dehydration as my new stoma was working too good, as for changing I do it in the morning after shower and not eating anything the nite before.
Reply by izipizi, on Sat May 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Good tip thanks

Reply by izipizi, on Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 am

Now having a lot of thin watery rectal discharge. Feels like I have to have a BM ,butt is getting sore. Ileostomy maintenance is exhausting. Had a problem with leaks ,was cutting hole too small in flange. took a week to figure it out.wasted a lot of supplies. Finally my ostomy nurse figured it out.

Up 3 times a night minimu, Im exhausted. Off all pain meds except prn advil..have crampy discomfort in mornings and soreness where colostomy was reversed and hernia repaired .

Still walking 2 miles most days.

Rough road.

Kudos to those who have been doing it long term.....it aint easy ,at least for me.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.