Embracing Your Differences: Finding Your True Identity

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Analogy follows: 3 packs of cookies made by three different manufacturers. For instance, chocolate chip cookies, one pack made by Keebler, another made by Chips Ahoy, and finally Mrs. Hill. What makes them different? The recipe?

All three companies' yearly profit is about 1 million. Neither of the three are trying to steal the other's recipe. Why? Because they have their own and that's what makes them different.

In our society, we tend to follow others just to fit in. Some of us wear clothes that don't fit, shoes that hurt our poor feet, and sometimes forgetting who we are. Are we living our truth?

In 2015, after recovering from my surgery, the shame that remained in my head wouldn't allow me to tell those people who I gathered with on Sundays. Initially, a lady who I believed or considered to be a friend was in the restroom during a time when I was changing my pouch. So I shared some very personal information with her about my surgery. Well heck, I may as well have announced it to the whole group. Mind you, these are people whom I've known for many years and some I actually love.

Listen, it took me until 2018 before I decided to share. I finally relented and told my story because of the frequent trips to the bathroom. Well, Monica then said, "If I had to live like you, I would die!" I responded by saying, "If I had to take care of your grandchildren, I would die." Was it nice? Absolutely not... Last year I decided I would tell people about my condition myself. Therefore, there would be no need for anyone to whisper. I had to own my issues, which stopped the gossiping.

Do we have to fit in? I say no, we don't. There are many examples of people who are just trying to fit in. It's ok to be different. It's ok to wear suits, it's ok to wear dresses, and definitely ok to embrace your difference. You see, I can be another. Only I, and I truly mean me, can be that person who I want or need to be.

In regards to our differences from those outside this group, we sometimes feel we are broken people because we're different. I am talking about physical differences that sometimes affect us mentally. Leaving us with many types of hang-ups. Our husbands, wives, and lovers sometimes change towards us. Some leave and some stay. Sometimes our differences isolate us and cause much loneliness.

We are all different, not because of the surgery. We were different long before that even took place. We talked, walked, and looked different. Heck, and that's just the basics of our identity. I can't be you nor can you be me. If I act like another, I lose myself and that's not good for me. I mean, who or what am I changing for? What good would it do me to adapt to another person's ways? Is it possible to keep up with what society dictates?

There are days when I'm feeling down and even crying. But always in my mind, there is hope. You only get one time around, only one rehearsal. I have to get it right—if I don't, there's no do-over.

Best wishes,

Angelicamarie

Bagface

Angelica, I so enjoy your posts. Wish there were more people in the world like you. You are truly special!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Angel, I think you're definitely getting it right. You don't need a do-over. You're a unique individual and one I'm very pleased to call my friend. Keep being who you are!

Morning glory

Angel, a very inspiring post.

Angelicamarie

Bagface, weirdnewlife, and Morning Glory: Your kind words are appreciated. I see so many that are worse off than me - blind, paralysis, and many other diseases that's not curable. There's always teachers around us, sometimes we listen and sometimes not. If you do listen, then you'll pass it to another - that's what I try to do!

Thanks again....

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Silveradokid

I used to look down as I walked and kept hitting walls. Curses followed. Then I started to look up. But still hit those walls. More cursing. So I painted the walls, hung up a few pictures and learned to appreciate them for what they are as well as what they are not...

Angelicamarie

Silveradokid... Sounds like you have come to terms with the change. Your comments reminded me of the Serenity Prayer. We all have our own way of adjusting to our new normal. Thanks so much for sharing!

Best wishes,

Angelicamarie

Willy

I look at it this way.

Before my surgery (Procto Colectomy- Ileostomy-- year 2003) I was constantly running to the washroom, always in pain. Missing out on evening get-togethers with friends, date nights with my wife, etc... Basically not living but going through life's motions to survive. Surgery changed all of that. I now do it all... Golf, camping, traveling, etc... Yes, you have to be mindful of blockages and irritations, etc... but far better than pre-surgery. I have my life back! Embrace life as you're still above ground.

I thank God every day for my blessings.

Angelicamarie

Willy, life is truly a blessing. Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes,

Angelicamarie

lovely

Angelicamarie, I just saw this post and wanted to say I liked all the posts. I guess I was not ashamed to tell people about my ostomy. People just seemed to accept it, at least I did not get any negative remarks or I didn't hear them. I figured if they did not accept me, it was their loss not mine. I also enjoy your posts. I have read a lot of them.

Angelicamarie

Hi Lovely, thank you ... I appreciate your kindness ;....

Angelicamarie