Irrigation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Jemmy

I have had a colostomy for three years and was never informed about irrigation. How do you do it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Talk to a Stoma Nurse

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

As far as irrigation goes, you can also find some very helpful videos online. I wasn't informed about it either by anyone at the hospital. After I discovered it myself, then I went to a stoma nurse and they were willing to discuss it then. I already knew everything that they told me, anyway, by that time. I read your other posting and I don't know if irrigation would work for you if your output is always liquid... Otherwise, it would certainly be the answer for you. I wish I could be of more help, but what you're dealing with is something new to me. Maybe a little more research is needed to help you make up your mind about what to try. More info never hurts. Good luck to you and I wish you all the best.

Puppyluv56

Jemmy,

Irrigation, if appropriate for you, can be awesome! You can make an appointment with your stoma care nurse to do it there the first time. I talked to my surgeon first and then I just watched the YouTube videos several times. I just did not have a lot of confidence in my stoma care people. They make it look easier and a lot less messy, but it is real and you will get better at it as time goes on! I have had some pretty funny mishaps, so just keep laughing at yourself as you venture into irrigation!

Good luck and hope this will be an option for you,

scorsby

Hi.

If you can, irrigating is the best thing you will ever do.

Remember, what's not inside you, can't come out.

If you can get an irrigation pump, do so. It makes life so much easier.

John

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister