Desperate for Healthcare: Lost Insurance, Need Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tallen901

I have been dealing with cancer for 10 years. I lost my bladder in 2011, both breasts and kidney in 2016. I was on SSI receiving a few dollars a month, but most importantly, Medicaid. It wasn't the best insurance, but I was able to see doctors. My husband took on a second job which he did not need and put me over the income level. The sad thing is he did it on purpose because he was embarrassed that his wife was on assistance. I had no choice, and he was unable to care for me, so what was I to do? It took 3 years of waiting and going before a judge, but I was awarded disability. I lost it all in July last year. I applied for Social Security, which I start getting in June. The amount is ridiculously small and still not enough for any insurance. I have to wait until I turn 65. I have 3 years and I'm not sure my health will hold on. I've missed 3 scans and am terrified. Waiting until health problems are bad enough to go to the ER will be too late. I don't know how to reconcile what my own husband did to me. He laughs about it. My body and spirit are broken. I used to be the happiest person on earth, now all I do is cry. How does one get past this? I am lost and don't know what to do.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

If your husband got another job that got you disqualified for Medicaid, then it's his responsibility to pay for health insurance for you. You can't afford to miss those scans. That's our ridiculous health care system for you. I can't believe your husband laughs about the fact that you have cancer and no health insurance. That's unbelievable to me! I think I'd leave him and take my chances without him. He definitely sounds like somebody you don't need in your life! At least, you'd get your Medicaid back. Waiting 3 years for medical care is not an option. Under Obamacare, there were insurance policies out there that families could get if their income was under a certain level..and I think, policies priced on a sliding level gauged to the family's income. I don't know if you can still get them, however, since "Obamacare" has been and is being gutted without anything to replace it. I know the Feds stopped paying part of the health insurance premiums, but there has to be something else out there. It would certainly be worth checking into.

I'm so sorry to hear what you've gone through. There ARE solutions out there for people in your financial situation...I have to believe that. Otherwise, everything I've always believed about this country is wrong. I can't believe that our country would force people into destitution and force your husband to give up his second job in order to get Medicaid or let people die of cancer without any care. We are BETTER than that! I would definitely contact the Social Services Agency or Human Services Dept. in your state and they could probably put you in touch with other programs that would help you get through this and give you some advice on what kind of insurance may still be out there that you can afford. I wish you all the best...and I'm so sorry. Nobody should have to go through what you're going through.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gemd

Oh, I lift you to the Lord that He may help. I had cancer as well. Is there a sort of Obama care thing you can get or pay as you can plan? As you did certainly need those scans. Hugs to you.

Puppyluv56

Tallen901,

It is unfortunate that those who set the income guidelines do not take into consideration medical needs.

I was the case manager in an oncology practice and my job was to make sure everyone in our county, with or without insurance, received the same healthcare! Not sure where you live but I would certainly start with your oncology practice. They should have a social worker or case manager to help you. If not, your local hospital should! There are programs in every aspect of medical care that lend assistance to those in need. You should be able to get scans at a reasonable rate, possibly free, or a small monthly payment. Medicaid has a tougher income guideline than most patient assistance programs! A social worker or case manager should be able to do all the leg work for you! Please try contacting them as soon as possible.

Aaliyah2019

It's hard but there is love out there for everyone. I was married and was diagnosed, and my husband divorced me, took all my money, and sent the divorce papers. He also stopped helping me financially and wouldn't even help with the kids. I had a friend for over 10 years who always expressed interest. I was in a coma, had my whole stomach removed, had grafting done. So not only do I have a bag, I have no stomach, had over 15 surgeries, and I got married again last year, so it can work. You can find love. Trust me, if I show you how I got all these scars, you would believe in love.

You will be fine, trust me. God will make a way. I used to have the same issue, but go to the ER, they will have no choice but to help.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Rocketgirl

I am so sorry for all you have been through.

If you were awarded SSDI then you should be eligible for Medicare. There is a two-year waiting period for Medicare. From the information you posted, you would have met the two-year wait period.

Medicaid is income-based so you are not financially eligible, but you should be eligible for Medicare.

Medicare eligibility is based on:

Age (age 65 and older); or

Individuals who applied for Social Security Disability (SSD) and were approved and met the two-year wait period; or

Individuals who applied for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and were approved and met the two-year wait period.

If you were awarded disability by an administrative law judge, and it took three years, I think you currently should be eligible for Medicare unless I am not understanding your eligibility issues correctly.

Please reach out to your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) in Florida for additional information and assistance on Medicare eligibility.

You can also call your local Social Security office and request an appointment. The Social Security office should be able to provide information to you too, though sometimes the information they provide is not always easy to understand.

Rocketgirl

I am so sorry for all you have been through.

If you were awarded SSDI then you should be eligible for Medicare. There is a two-year waiting period for Medicare. From the information you posted, you would have met the two-year wait period.

Medicaid is income-based so you are not financially eligible, but you should be eligible for Medicare.

Medicare eligibility is based on:

Age (age 65 and older); or

Individuals who applied for Social Security Disability (SSD) and were approved and met the two-year wait period; or

Individuals who applied for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and were approved and met the two-year wait period.

If you were awarded disability by an administrative law judge, and it took three years, I think you currently should be eligible for Medicare unless I am not understanding your eligibility issues correctly.

Please reach out to your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) in Florida for additional information and assistance on Medicare eligibility.

You can also call your local Social Security office and request an appointment. The Social Security office should be able to provide information to you too, though sometimes the information they provide is not always easy to understand.

Puppyluv56

Hi Tallen,

You have received some great advice here. Have you been able to check any of these suggestions out? I hope so. Your Medicare should stay 2 years 5 months from your disability date. Part A is free and that pays the hospital costs only. You have to pay for Part B that covers all your doctor visits and any other health care. They will deduct $135 a month from your SSDI for that and then you will need to get Part D for your prescription plan.

Hope you are doing well!

Puppyluv