Just found out prob colostomy can't eat hardly anything, help

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Scraggy

Hi,
I've had abdominal pain after eating for a long time. Since Christmas, it's gotten a lot worse. I'm living on fortijuices, porridge, and plain jacket spuds with no margarine. I tried a bit of gravy tonight with bread in it and it's going mad. I have to have a transit test to confirm the consultant's opinion that my bowel is knackered.
Really struggling to cope. Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading this.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Maryallison
Dear Scraggy, I am so glad you have an appointment and will get some answers. Sometimes the not knowing is worse than anything. Good luck!!
Mary
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sweede
Hey Scraggy

Do you get such a thing as Ensure Plus over where you are (don't know where you are as you haven't set up a profile page yet)? Ensure Plus is a complete meal in a milkshake. Strawberry is the best flavor, but you can get them in many flavors.

Ensure Plus kept me alive for about 6 months prior to my op as I was unable to eat solid foods for most of that time. I swear by the stuff....

It's best to stay away from gravy mixes, dude, especially if it has cornflour in it to thicken it. It has the potential to stodge things up a bit. I doubt the bread will be doing you any favors either. Did you get any information on low residue diets from your consultant?

Also, if you are having troubles with your transit time being a bit too quick, ask your consultant about taking supplements and whether it may be a good idea to grind them up before taking. If you get the go-ahead for the supplements, be sure to check the labels to see if they have either bone meal or Dolomite in them. If so, don't use them because the bone meal will have a tendency to constipate you, and bone meal and dolomite tend to come from animal bone which has a tendency to contain significant amounts of lead, arsenic, mercury, and other potentially toxic metals. Not quite what an already tender bowel needs to cope with.

Take care, Scraggy.
WOUNDED DOE

Sweede had an excellent idea with the Ensure Plus! That is something in similar situations of my own in the past, my doc advised for me. Please do keep on your doctors about the pains you are having and make those appointments to have this checked!! Let us know how you're doing!! In the meantime, maybe liquid vitamins are in order and try to drink lots of nourishing broths...beef broth, chicken and vegetable broths... eat jello...drink organic decaf green and black teas... it's all helped me in the past anyway. Good luck!!!

Scraggy

Never heard of the product, do you have liquid drinks that give all vitamins, etc., but I was hoping to be able to eat some food. It's really getting on top of me not being able to eat or being in so much pain because of it. I will update my profile page. Contact the doctor for advice, hoping they can help.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

I forgot how horrible it is not to eat. However, I am grateful for Ensure, my blender, broth, Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Stay away from porridge!! It is high in fiber and will bulk and cause blockage. No cereals.

WD - Jello will also keep you hydrated.

Pudding (not with tapioca) tricks my mouth into pretending I'm chewing.

Good luck. Let us know how the appointment goes.

banshie3by5

Yes....stay away from fiber!!! Unsaturated fats (corn, canola, olive oils) are hard to digest, as are seasonings like black pepper and cinnamon that are made from ground bark. You may be sensitive to preservatives so lay off margarine (also unsaturated) and stick to butter if you can. Minute Rice is low-fiber and easy on the guts. Canned fruit and veggies are softer because they're way-cooked. Pain is a symptom to listen to. And if you can stand the bland for now, you may be able to add other foods back in after you're healed.