Swelling around stoma, possible blockage? Need advice!

Replies
Views
Little Red

I was sick last night, vomiting, nausea, and then severe pain across my lower stomach. I went to the ER, blood work okay, x-rays showed hernias and stool. No problem with hernias, was sent home told to take stool softeners and see my primary doctor. I went to my doctor today, he said to take stool softeners and drink fluids. If not any better in 1 or 2 days, to see or call my ET nurse. I now have swelling around my stoma, have had some semi-soft formed stool in my pouch. Can't reach my ET nurse as they left at 2:30 today. I am getting scared I may have a blockage or could it just be constipation. I do not have any pain, but the swelling (lump) around the stoma has just developed in the past hour. I had a bowl of soup for lunch and have no appetite. Any ideas or should I go back to the ER.

MagicFlute14

I would go to the ER.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I would too!

Bagface

Yes, definitely!

Little Red

Thanks all. I did go to the ER. By the time I got there, some swelling around my stoma had gone down and later on it was working full force, so I guess the stool softeners did the trick. The ER doc ordered a CT scan just to be on the safe side. I have diverticulitis above my stoma, so back on antibiotics for 14 days. I was disappointed because that is why I have the colostomy in the first place, because it ruptured and I developed an infection and had emergency surgery. Even with a colostomy, I am back to square one. The doctor thinks I may have had a partial blockage or constipation, but it looks like that has been remedied. And thanks Fred for your inbox message. I did try your suggestion and it may have helped. You guys and gals are great.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
dadnabbit

Little Red, glad it has resolved, sorry you needed the ER. I have found that when I have what seems to be a blockage, hot beverages like tea and broth and walking around, as well as lightly massaging the abdomen area can sometimes help to loosen a blockage and move things along. If you are vomiting and having pain with really limited or no output, chances are good that something is blocked. Whether with food or stool (constipation), walking, warmth, and belly rubs do help. However, when your situation goes beyond 4-6 hours, you are looking at the possibility of severe damage (death) to the part of the colon that is blocked, which can result in needing more colon removed, so it is a very serious decision on how long to allow yourself to suffer. I have three hernias, one major one under the stomach, with three sections of small intestine looped up into it. Knowing this has made me very conscious of chewing very well. I do eat everything I want with no restrictions. The only issue I have ever had was caused by a small piece of flour tortilla, not something usually suspected of causing blockages. It took hot tea, massages, and walking around to get it to move. I was careless on how much time I allowed to resolve the issue myself, almost 12 hours. I was just very lucky there was no damage causing permanent damage and requiring surgery. Hopefully you will not encounter the need for this kind of decision/choice again.

Peace

Dadnabbit

Little Red

Dadnabbit, believe me I don't want to go to the ER unless a real problem. I did try massage and lots of water, but it is a good thing I went the first time. They only did an x-ray and said everything looked okay, but the second trip I saw a different ER doctor and had the CT and that showed the diverticulitis. I had a choice of being hospitalized with IV meds or home. I picked home, on pills. So far so good. The doctor said he wanted me to see my gastro and my primary because of my medical history and to make an appointment when I got home or if not better in 2 days to come back to the ER. I am so tired of doctors. Thanks for your response and this is still new for me and learning every day. Stay well.

Puppyluv56

Little Red,

Sorry you have had to go through all of that but glad the pain is much better! I say never hesitate to go to the ER as bad as they can be. With our issues, we never know what's going on! Hope you continue to feel better! Sorry for the late post but have been on vacation!

Puppy

dadnabbit

Little Red,

After re-reading my post and the next response, I realized that I may have come across as being negative about seeking ER help.

I hope I didn't give the impression that you should not go to the ER. I'm a firm believer that if you are even thinking about going, you must be in enough pain and discomfort to warrant the trip!! After everything we here have gone through, none of us doesn't believe the ER serves a very valid purpose. As I said in my post, I was careless, and just very lucky that I didn't end up in trouble by waiting 12 hours before my discomfort went away. Death of parts of the colon and further surgery is something none of us wants!!

I was only attempting to tell you what I had personally experienced in the past, and how I had handled it (perhaps not the smartest thing I've ever done :-() as well as what had given me some relief from the pain and suffering. I am glad you were responsible enough for yourself to seek the help you needed.

Peace

Nancy

Little Red

Dadnabbit, I didn't take your post as I shouldn't go to the ER. Your experience was helpful, as were the others. Then I made the decision to go on my own. I am doing okay. I have had a busy morning, calls from my Cardio RN, my primary Dr's RN, my ET RN, and all is well so far. Taking my antibiotic as prescribed and lots of fluid. Ostomy appears to be working as it should. I did have green output, but ET RN said that is normal and to back off the stool softener because the meds can cause watery green output. If it isn't one thing, it is another. LOL.

Thanks everyone. Sharon