Stylish Clothing for Men with Ostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses stylish clothing options for men with an ostomy, providing advice and recommendations for comfortable and fashionable attire.
Jpuk

What clothes do men wear?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

On that, I wear jeans and polo or short sleeve shirts where the shirt can cover the bag. I also wear covers which go over the bag and make it look like a bum bag, so not great attention is given to what people see. I do wear suits from time to time, but with the trousers a little loose so the bag can go into them and shirt as you would normally wear... but I think it's what you feel comfortable in. I personally am not really bothered if people see the bag/cover or not.

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Hope that helps.

Puppyluv56

Jpuk,

I think men and women all do pretty much the same thing. I wear nothing but the clothes I wore prior to surgery! My pouch goes in my underwear and then I wear jeans, shorts, dresses, bathing suits, etc. with no problem. I don't like the thought of a belt and have no need for it or any other specialty products. You can go as far as you want to for security purposes but I have no problems keeping my pouch in place and nobody ever notices the slight bulge there.

Puppy

Past Member

Oh, I must try the dresses. I have not done that before. LOL

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TXSteve

When I'm out and about, I generally do more to hide the pouch, and at times, muffle the sounds it can make occasionally as well, lol.

Basically, I fold and turn the pouch sideways, so I can wear a belt with my jeans. I then pull a skin-colored wrap over the whole thing to keep everything in place.

If I'm planning to be with friends, or in a potentially quiet environment, like a meeting, lunch, or movie-like setting, then I go a step further. I then place one or two neoprene "mufflers" (Stealth Belt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5P02CIYc2c) over the stoma area to muffle sounds, and then pull the wrap over the whole thing to keep everything in place. It works great!

The minor downsides are... 1) it's a little more hassle when you have to "go" 2) it makes just a little more of a pooch look in my stomach area, and 3) it makes it easier to get a little overheated on a spring or summer day, or if exercising.

Steve

Puppyluv56

Hahaha Mike, send pictures please!

Puppy

Past Member

Puppy, I will have to borrow one of yours. LOL

Past Member

Happy Easter puppy

Puppyluv56

Hope your Easter was great! Mine was! 😉

Past Member

Yes, thank you. It's a very good one.

xnine

I wear jeans mostly and use suspenders as a belt would cut my bag in half. I also use a bandeau cover-up.

Little Red

I am a woman and like puppies, I wear what I have always worn. I just tuck my bag in my underwear. Sometimes I wear a hernia belt as I have developed 2 hernias: parastomal and umbilical. But only when out and about and know I will be doing anything strenuous. I am on a weight restriction of 10 lbs. At home, I just wear what I have always worn, but I do find that anything with elastic around the waist is more comfortable. My stoma is below my waist, so I am good. I say just wear whatever feels good.

Puppyluv56

An idea for some ladies! I found this out by accident! I love a certain line of shorts and they are pricey when not on sale, so I look in the clearance racks or go shopping when they are buy one, get one half off. It seems no matter what size I am wearing at the time, they are always sold out of my size. The clearance racks and petite sizes are upstairs in Belk, and I have to try everything on. Even two of the same size! In doing that, I found that if I wear a petite but get it one size larger, the waist hits lower than on my waist and does not get in the way of my stoma. I am in no way a petite woman. I'm 5'8" and mostly legs. But this works. For those of us who have never been petite, nice to tell my friends, "Oh, these are petites!" Lol

Past Member

Does that mean I can't borrow one of yours then?

Puppyluv56

Only if you are Petite Mike! LOL

Past Member

I'm petite, lol, just not long legs like you.

Puppyluv56

Hahaha

Past Member

Maybe I need to stretch them a little, but I am 5'10 already.

Puppyluv56

LOL

Past Member

You probably look better than I would LOL

Puppyluv56

LOL