Effectiveness of liquid skin barrier with powder on rashes?

Replies
Views
iMacG5

I know lots of us suffered with rashes and received all kinds of advice. Some advice might be misleading and hopefully we can all do the right things if the need should arise. When we mention “crusting” I worry about the effects of applying the liquid skin barrier directly to the rash before the powder. I’m concerned the barrier film might prevent the powder from doing its job. Not even sure why I’m questioning this but I seem to question almost everything these days. Who has the time?
Mike

Morning glory

Hi Mike,

I get rashes on occasion. I was told by an ostomy nurse and Convatec nurse to use the powder first. I think using the powder last defeats the purpose of the powder.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

If you think your rash is due to the acidic nature of your pouch contents - - this may sound old-school, but a simple thing my ostomy nurse told me to do occasionally is after cleaning and carefully drying, dab on some Milk of Magnesia and let it stay on for several minutes before wiping off - or even let it dry completely then apply the wafer. The MoM reverses the acidic burns from the pouch contents.

Also, if you have to shave the hair where the wafer sticks, make sure your razor isn't old or dull... also use a hypo-allergenic gentle soap, then dry lightly and let the air get to your skin for a bit before reapplying. All that usually works well for me, and if I get a rash, it's usually because the razor blade is dull (razor stubble LOL) or I didn't rinse off the soap I use.

I think you apply the powder first, then apply the skin-prep.

Hope this helps.

MagicFlute14

Hi Mike. If you have the time, and it's possible, clean the rash first with soap and water, dry, and apply on the rash Desitin Extra Strength. Keep it on for a few hours, then clean again with soap and water, and do your regular prep before applying the wafer. It was the only thing that cured a bleeding rash I had that not even the ostomy nurse could fix. Good luck!

iMacG5

Thanks so much folks.  I agree with Rebecca, would love to go golfing right now and feel terrible for Mozart's bleeding rash.

I stopped shaving about three years ago based on my surgeon's suggestion to eliminate ingrown hairs and the fear of nicking the stoma.  I use a battery powered trimmer to cut the hairs anywhere the wafer or adhesive sticks.  My rash was below the appliance and I think it came from sweating in the skin folds caused mainly by too much skin because of too much eating.  

You folks provided some great advice for all of us here at MAO.

Gratefully,

Mike

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mrs.A

When I think about rashes, I think back to when my children were small. Cornstarch always worked for "prickly heat" and odor in shoes. I don't know if it would work for under the flange.

spyder

I have used Mercrochrome to some success, though it is hard to find in the US.