4 members & 5 visitors

I am a 50-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 61-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 40-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female
Meet and talk to 20,077 OstoMates

Wound Vac, Healing Taking A Long Time..?

Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi, after surgery I tore some stitches loose in my bottom and it had some infection going on. Long and the short, after not healing, they made an incision and hooked up a wound vac. 

Has anybody else had a deep wound that seems like along time to heal? It's been about 4 weeks of negative pressure vacuum and before that packing with guaze and leaking. 

How long til it heals? From 15 centimeters to 5 left to go. I'm told not to sit and lay on my side for healing to happen..ugh!

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Sorry, Mtnman.  I don't know much about your situation but 4 weeks doesn't seem like a terribly long time. I'm betting it won't take a whole lot longer and you'll tell us how well you're feeling.

Wishing you the best,

Mike

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Thanks Mike, it just seems like it has. I'm supposed to not sit, but lay on my sides. Frustration I guess.🤔 Thanks I'll update like you said later, I appreciate your response. Take care.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:16 am

Yep I had a wound vac. The mesh they put in my abdomen for the hernias I kept having got infected. Made A large infection area about as big as your fist where my navel used to be. It seemed like it took months for that to heal itself. Sounds like you're making progress all you can do is take care of it it's only going to heal as fast as your body can heal whether it was a cut on your arm or in your case where it is now. Hang in there it's only a minor setback in your journey of life

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks amrfd for the encouragement. I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge or better said experience I have seen on this site. It is fantastic.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:15 pm

UPDATE: The wound vac was removed a couple weeks ago. Yay! At that time the depth of the wound was around 4cm. Packed with gauze soaked in a liquid called vashe. Saw the surgeon yesterday and it looked great, healing fine with NO depth! An answer to prayers. It has all filled in and just has top layer to connect with the other skin. Now I just have a silver nitrate dressing over it and see wound care in 2 weeks and surgeon in a month. Anyone going through this I can help.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks so much, Mtnman, for sharing the wonderful news.  You're over a huge hump and it sounds like you're good for the next 77 years.

Respectfully,

Mike

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks Mike, don't know about the next 77😀, but (no pun intended) I have been through that experience and now I might be able to help others with any questions that they may have. This site is the best! I have gained support from people like you and found friends along the way. Thanks Mike I'll be working on the next 77 along with you. Smile

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.