Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

Skin prep

Posted by xnine, on Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 am

I had a bath the other day and my flange gave way in two days. I forgot to put skin prep on. There must have been oil on my skin after the bath. I often get 10 days on my flange. So this is just a reminder to myself to not forget the skin prep after a bath. When I shower it is not an issue.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun May 12, 2019 7:52 am

I only use adhesive remover and dry before putting my flange on. Never had any problems and I am in my pool every day! Still get 10 days out of the flange. What do you prep with X? 

Reply by xnine, on Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 am

Smith&nephew NO-STING SKIN-PREP or Cavilon by 3M No Sting Barrier Film both work good

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun May 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Will keep that in mind if anything changes with me! 

Reply by Xerxes, on Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Wow, you guys must hold a record for how long the your flange stays on. I use uni-solve to remove excess adhesive and both skin prep and karaya powder and never got more than 6 days between changes over 40 years with an ileostomy. Congrats!

Xerxes

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue May 14, 2019 7:40 am

Hi X, 

it is crazy! When I first started, I was lucky to last a day! Funny how finding the right product for you makes such a difference. I was told to use all that paste and powders and was given some in a kit from the hospital! The more stuff I used, the worse it got! Less is best for me! Lucky to have good skin I guess!

pup

dls
Reply by dls, on Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:21 pm

Take more showers.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.